Mosasaur Jaw Real Or Fake?

R.dewhurst

Brought a mosasaur jaw for a decent amount of money, heard so much about composite jaws I would like to ask people's opinion on here? I've had a dig round the edges of the teeth since this photo to try and check if it's real, this hasn't helped me decide, wondering if it's restored or just fake, please help me decide?

I would inspect the tooth roots very carefully; given the extensive reconstruction of the jaw bone, the teeth may well have been composited.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks pretty good to me!!!

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

A follow up to Auspex post. Look just under the enamel of the teeth and see if you can see root material that belongs there or a layer of white or sand fill. If its the latter the tooth has been composited.

Have already dug about for the roots, they are present, but the more I dig the less convinced I am it's real, or is it just restored for show I can't decide?

post-15150-0-46775800-1398727342_thumb.jpg

post-15150-0-88970700-1398727361_thumb.jpg

I would have thought composite, but Mikeymig is usually better than me at this, so now I'm not sure. :blink:

Oh, it's real; if the roots are present (and not artfully sculpted), then it is restored to what we see. Too often, rootless shed teeth are used to complete these in preparation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you all for your feedback, added a few more daytime pics after my dig about around the edges of the teeth, some bits look better than others, I'm thinking it's just restored?

post-15150-0-50778300-1398763141_thumb.jpg

post-15150-0-41123800-1398763163_thumb.jpg

post-15150-0-68112900-1398763183_thumb.jpg

I don't know it still looks good to me. From your photos I don't see any restoration maybe a few repairs. One tooth looks like it was glued together (thats normal, common, and expected) and the jaw looks real. If this jaw was nice, straight and the bone was smooth with all the teeth in a neat row then I would be concerned. If you want to feel real good about your purchase then try using a UV light on it. Any glue should fluoresce.

Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Thank you for the reply, one thing that did really worry me, I was digging round the front of the jaw bone and openened up a void that goes an inch and half back, obviously a bad sign, could this just be from repair work to the fossil? I'm happy to accept it's been repaired for a show piece, but worry the whole thing could be a cow jaw and I've been fooled!!!!

If that were the case then it would be a MOOOsasaur. ;)

mikey

led zeppelin

I am a bit sceptical of any mosasaur material that is still in the matrix.

I have a couple of jaws (all but one are out of the matrix), like you I dug around the matrix one and found out quickly that it was enhanced.

Your specimen looks good as far as the teeth and bone quality go however I feel like it lacks critical detail that would convince me it has just come straight out of the ground and been prepped.

For example the breaks in the jaw are a little too convenient with big gaps between the pieces (jaws are often fabricated by assembling pieces of bone that have been 'worked' into a convincing shape).

I would also expect to see pits in the bone where blood vessels and or nerves ran.

The smaller rooted tooth looks like it has been stuck in matrix and placed onto the middle of the jaw to hide missing bone and possibly to disguise the fact that the front and back of the jaw are not associated.

I am in no way an expert and I hope that your specimen is 100% real but if I were a betting man I would say it is a collection of unassociated pieces set in the matrix to appear as though it were an almost complete specimen.

The only tooth thats looks ok to me is the one thats sitting on the bottom end.

The root looks like it is complete.(see pics of one thats just fond like it has to be)

The rest is also fossil stuf bud I think it is a complete composite.

However the teeth could be from the same mosa because on this piece the coller of the teeth match and the order of size.

It is some times hard to see or somthing from Morocco is good or not try some water or aceton on the matrix close to the fossil and you wil see or it is good matrix or not.

Greetings Erik

post-4937-0-28576600-1399096847_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-15038600-1399096888_thumb.jpg