St. John's River Trip 14April

Mike and the Megs!

Made it out on the st Johns River a couple of weeks ago and am finally getting around to posting a trip report. I wanted to make it out there with another FF member( Chippewa) but it just don't work out. Anyways, it was a beautiful day with highs in the 80's and little wind. I took out a kayak on the St. John's River to try a few of my favorite old spots when I used to live in Jacksonville. After a few miles or little success other than many fragladon sand little teeth, I finally found a few decent things. The lower mako was in great condition and a few other Mako teeth in pretty good condition. All found within about a 20 yard area. Good day and it defiantly ensured I will be back to spot next time I'm in town. Here are a few in-situ shots some others sights from the day .enjoy

post-5168-0-17574800-1398909189_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-28076500-1398909218_thumb.jpg

Nice, like the situ shots----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Not sure what the small tooth in the third pic is? Hooked Mako?

post-5168-0-71084400-1398910051_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-94661300-1398910063_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-82941200-1398910180_thumb.jpg

post-5168-0-43162000-1398910190_thumb.jpg

Very cool thanks for the report. I like seeing st johns stuff because its one of the places I have yet to explore for fossils. I take it you were searching through dredged spoil?

Yes I was. Entirely surface collecting as well. If you ever do make it out that way to collect let me know and I'll give you some info

Nice finds! For your third tooth - Cosmopolitodus (Isurus) planus (or hook toothed) makos haven't been reported from the east coast. A larger and clearer photo may help with a solid ID. It resembles an anterior Alopias grandis (or giant thresher tooth).

Awesome...thanks for the trip report! In situ pic's are nice. :)

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Very nice finds, Congrats!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks again for the offer to join you - nice work. Wondering if you were able to stay dry - there were some good downpours that day if I remember!

We will make it happen next time. Yea , I got one downpour and there really isn't anywhere to hide out there!

Nice makos, can't wait to get out to my favorite kayak spots in the next few weeks

• 2 weeks later...