Collecting With Honorary Texans

Uncle Siphuncle

When I heard that Forum members Nando and Diana from Italy would be boot scootin' across Texas, I made a point of meeting up with them in the field at some point of the weekend. Planning in advance is a snarge shoot during a drought, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of productivity when getting wife, son, and gear loaded into the truck and heading north to the Walnut Formation (Albian) of Central Texas.

Our Italian friends were waiting for us patiently at the site when we arrived. Soon after we spread out over the site, it was clear that this locality had not been worked heavily by other collectors recently...thus taking the pressure off of me. My 12 year old son Weston, the same who squawked about being marshaled into yet another fossil trip, was soon sprinting toward me to show off his 3 nice Phymosoma texanum echinoids.

Soon I found 5 of my own, 4 in good shape, and one big, damaged one. Nando and Diana found several as well, and we each found all the Heteraster texanus (and perhaps the more inflated H. mexicanus, which some consider to be conspecific with H. texanus). I also found a good sized Engonoceras ammonite, which proved to be pinched out in the juvenile whorls, but it made a good picture in situ. Heartbreaker of the high order molluscan persuasion.

We scouted a number of other sites which all proved to be duds. It was good to see our friends again as circumstances had dashed plans to get together during their last couple visits to Texas.

post-22-0-65370200-1399232165_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-44261900-1399232181_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-00383100-1399232205_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

More

post-22-0-57150600-1399232254_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-43914600-1399232275_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-20309000-1399232294_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

The ladies: Diana hand modeling with her best Phymosoma; my wife, Brett, scrambling for echs in the background.

post-22-0-17166800-1399232365_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-86419700-1399232382_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

The Kid

post-22-0-26793200-1399232429_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-41412300-1399232442_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Parting shot

post-22-0-98650900-1399232503_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Another great Dan the Man trip, Weston is really growing up, will be driving soon if not now. Our chikldren grow up to soon, anyone could tell there is a close bond between you and your son----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Is that Justin Beiber with you? Congrats on the finds!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

just glad to see the kid not playing minecraft!

Grüße,

That was awesome for you to do that! Im sure they were very pleased.

I know i read in some post that you've found SO MUCH over the years that now you just enjoy guiding noobs. Have you thought about starting your own guide biz? Maybe a retirement option?

I know my sister and her husband live in Austin and are always looking for a new adventure! They travel all over the World rockhounding and exploring.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Nice report, Dan. They were were a few weeks ago. We spent a morning in the Eocene collecting turtle and crocodile fossils. And they had planned to pass by a week ago, but it was cold and snowy, so that fossil outing was cancelled.

Nando and Diana are a blast to hang out with and have proven over time that they are very respectful of site information, so I don't mind sharing with them freely. I try to have a few quality sites in my back pocket when friends roll through from out of state...but this drought certainly puts extra pressure on the host! It can be a bit embarrassing when someone travels long distance, and all you can show are played out sites, so I take that into account when managing sites..

It's much easier to view myself trading quality collecting trips with others than guiding for $$$, even though I've sunk a fortune into site prospecting. Just a personal choice. I think special sites will stay special longer if I don't haul in a steady stream of folks for money. It's true that I step over certain fossils these days that I would have never left behind a few years ago. I like new challenges for more rare stuff, and getting sidetracked on more common stuff can keep a collector from breaking new ground.

On that note I found a creek full of Eopachydiscus ammonites last month, a cool ammonite that we just have too many in our collection. I don't spend my time or gas targeting them specifically any longer, but I have friends who would love to find a few. So when Forum member JGCOX and his wife from Cincinnati roll through Texas during their upcoming trip, I have this particular Eo creek in mind for them. It can be fun helping friends find fossils completely different from those they find at home.

I just ask that itinerant collectors bring RAIN to Texas...

That was awesome for you to do that! Im sure they were very pleased.

I know i read in some post that you've found SO MUCH over the years that now you just enjoy guiding noobs. Have you thought about starting your own guide biz? Maybe a retirement option?

I know my sister and her husband live in Austin and are always looking for a new adventure! They travel all over the World rockhounding and exploring.

Grüße,

Nando and Diana are a fun couple to talk to about fossils and localities. It would be nice to go out collecting with them. Judging from their self collected fossils; shows they are good at finding them.

John, we are pretty good finding fossils, but our Texans guides were years ahead us. I cannot forget that just a year ago we were in the field with Brent Dunn (boneman007) and he overscored us by many good fossils. We are so sad we will never see him again :(

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Ahh yes, our good friend Brent...I spread some of his ashes in the field a couple months ago, and Vertman will soon be doing the same. Upon his mom's request, we've made a point in distributing his ashes in several of his favorite collecting spots.

Grüße,

THE DUEL:

Unfortunately these days I can't reduce my profile by turning sideways...

Grüße,