Unknown Green Mineral, Gemstone, Or Other.

Tennessees Pride

This is a specimen which i have always had an intense interest in. From a Late Cretaceous formation. Since finding it 4 yr. ago, i have kept it quietly hid for 95% of the time...guess i'm just crazy like that. It has been looked at once but no positive i.d. could be made, but this specimen did peak an interest when viewed. I can say i've never before or after saw anything like it, truely. These photos just don't do the material justice. This outside surface area is alittle on the ugly side no doubt, but i have super high hopes for the inside. As you can see, the green crystal structure on the surface looks dull for the most part, but when you turn it,it flashes like new-money. Not sure about the dull white material which is covering the green crystal on the surface...under a scope it looks to be something of a fine crystalized nature. The only person i have let view it told me it might have came to my area from the Smokey Mountains. It scratches white on unglazed porcelain, & i've determined to have a cut on it next week....can anything be told about it in the meantime?

post-14571-0-87889800-1399320090_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-13255600-1399320162_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-89702900-1399320236_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Will a magnet stick to it?

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Heavily weathered granite?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Will a magnet stick to it?

mikey

No sir mikey.

--- Joshua

Heavily weathered granite?

I don't think it would be that sir, it's not of the hardness of what granite would be.

--- Joshua

That looks like (3rd photo) a similar piece my grandpa found in the Nolichucky River, it had a similar texture on the outside, but a gray agate was easily seen. He had it cut and it was a very nice geode.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

That looks like (3rd photo) a similar piece my grandpa found in the Nolichucky River, it had a similar texture on the outside, but a gray agate was easily seen. He had it cut and it was a very nice geode.

Interesting, we'll find out if it's hollow here pretty soon....

--- Joshua

Are the individual xl grains soft, or just the bonds between them? I have come across some crumbly granites that were almost like loosely consolidated sandstone.. due to weathering I suppose.

Are the individual xl grains soft, or just the bonds between them? I have come across some crumbly granites that were almost like loosely consolidated sandstone.. due to weathering I suppose.

As far as i can tell, it seems rather durable sir. Also nothing loose or falling off the material.

--- Joshua

I have entertained the notion it may be something of an impact origin, and had the dull white material fused on the outside surface when it reached a resting place....or even in the air.......but i've never gave it serious consideration because of so many other things it might could be....

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

I would call it some sort of granite anyway. Very similar stuff up one of my local mtns and creeks. I do like to hear more expert opinions though..

I don't think it's ugly on the outside and it has a nice shape. On that 3'd picture, up close, I can see the rainbow colors like in opal or fire agate, maybe it has a bit of that kind of coating on it? I like it & will be watching to see what happens, almost hate to think of it getting busted open (ex-ray?) lol...nice find!

I don't think it's ugly on the outside and it has a nice shape. On that 3'd picture, up close, I can see the rainbow colors like in opal or fire agate, maybe it has a bit of that kind of coating on it? I like it & will be watching to see what happens, almost hate to think of it getting busted open (ex-ray?) lol...nice find!

Hey there curious kat,good to hear from you. :) you know, i just can't be for sure what it has all over it. I will do a cut section on it though mam, a cut fitting of it's uniqueness. After determining what it is, i'd like to have it cut in half (as long as it's not valuable) for display. Have plans to show the inside of the specimen on one section, and its outside with the other section.

--- Joshua

That sounds nice Tennessees Pride...will be waiting :popcorn: & excited to see how it turns out! And nice to meet you to!

That sounds nice Tennessees Pride...will be waiting :popcorn: & excited to see how it turns out! And nice to meet you to!

Hey there mam, i sure wasn't ignoring you, was having some trouble loading stuff in my gallery. As soon as i can get a cut did on that material, i'll sure post some pictures on this thread. :)

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure either, I would need the rock and hand lens. I can't see the green in the pic. However, it's most likely Olivine. Which can be seen in granite. Good luck!

I'm not sure either, I would need the rock and hand lens. I can't see the green in the pic. However, it's most likely Olivine. Which can be seen in granite. Good luck!

You won’t find olivine in granites – it’s generally incompatible with the formation of quartz-rich igneous rocks. You might get fayalite (the iron-bearing variant of olivine) in exceptionally sodium-rich granite but sodic granites generally have a pink matrix.

• I found this Informative 1

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

You won’t find olivine in granites – it’s generally incompatible with the formation of quartz-rich igneous rocks. You might get fayalite (the iron-bearing variant of olivine) in exceptionally sodium-rich granite but sodic granites generally have a pink matrix.

You're right. My bad!

If I read correctly, and it was found in a Cretaceous layer, It might be a Vivianite nodule. Vivianite is virtually colorless until it's exposed to UV light, and then it changes to a blue/green color. Just an idea for you to chew on bud!

• 1 year later...

This material has been looked at and handled by 3 different geologists so far. All three have said it appeared to be "Dunite". None have been able to figure out how it came to be in my area. I now believe this wonderful specimen to be a meteorite (though I never suggested it to any of the geologists during the times it was inspected.)

I'm very much open to criticism regarding a meteoric origin. What is everyone's opinion to that?

--- Joshua

Send Roger a PM. He's the best on the subject that I know.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ