Crystal Formations In Petrified Wood

JustPlainPetrified

I collected many pieces of petrified wood over the years along the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Alberta, Canada. (Hence my ID name). I was reading about agates and opals today and discovered how opals formed in petrified wood. Well, one of my many pieces I tumbled and polished and the result presented me with a look at some, what I believe to be chalcedony crystals forming within the rock. Quite neat actually. Difficult to magnify and photograph at the same time but maybe someone can tell me if I am on the right track in the identification of the creamy coloured mounds of crystal inside this rock.

post-7201-0-88135300-1399587557_thumb.jpg

Chalcedony would be very much the "front-runner" with that botryoidal habit. Yes, it is rather neat isn't it?

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Chalcedony would be very much the "front-runner" with that botryoidal habit. Yes, it is rather neat isn't it?

Everything that was white, hard and shiny used to be quartz...not anymore. Thanks for having a look.

Grant

• 3 weeks later...