Rock Or Bone Fossil

MaryLiz58

This rock (?) was dredged out of the South Umpqua River, along the Oregon Coast. I just want to know if anyone can tell me if it is a rock or a fossilized bone.post-15234-0-22193300-1399649844_thumb.jpg

There is also the possibility that it is petrified wood.

Views from other angles might help. :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you...I have a few more shots of it, I just need to figure out how to post them. :blink:

Be sure to put something in the picture for scale so we know the size.

Thank you...I have a few more shots of it, I just need to figure out how to post them. :blink:

These tips will make it easy:

LINK1 (RE: image and file size limits)

LINK2 (the rest of the steps)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I don't believe it to be petrified wood, the rings in it are not consistent with that of wood, at least in my view.post-15234-0-73325200-1399670226_thumb.jpg

I think it is petrified wood; not a full-round, but a piece.

I'm using an ipad to take the photos, so forgive me if they are not the best quality.

You can entries add to your existing thread, by replying to it through the "More Reply Options" button.

I have merged your topic posts into the original topic.

These are shell fossils I found on a mountain in southern AZ

Brachiopods; someone here with more specific knowledge can no doubt ID them more closely.

This also came from the same place in S. AZ

This looks like a section through a horn coral.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Maryliz58, Welcome to the forum. I live and collect here in Oregon. I have seen loads of both fossil bone and fossil wood from this area. I completely agree with Auspex on this one. I would label it Petrified wood. Like Auspex stated, its a piece from a rather large tree. The growth rings you can see in your photo look flat and unrounded because it is only a very small segment from a much larger tree. Good find.

Nick