First Of The Year

Pumpkinhead

Well the weather finally calmed down where I am so I decided to do a little fossil hunting on the cliffs behind my house. I havnt had much of a chance to look over the area in detail, but I have turned up a few interesting things. One of them I don't know what it is, and the other I would just like to verify to make sure I'm right.I'm not sure what this one is. I thought it was a Crinoid stalk, but it seems to taper off and become thinner towards the end. Also there were not any other Crinoids around the area. I apologize if these photos are not up to everyone's standards, I did the best job I could with the resources available. Both this rock and the one I will post next are from the Silurian period, Cabot head formation.

post-14411-0-78249700-1399850496_thumb.jpg

post-14411-0-23528200-1399850562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pumpkinhead

I believe That is a cephalopod, just because of the taper and the lines that lead into where the siphuncle

Would have run down the center of it.

The pic on the left is a close up of the layered part of the specimen. The middle one is of a farther away shot. The last one is of the other end. The rock is from the same period and formation as the previous post. I suspect it to be some kind of a stromatolite, but I just want to make sure as the cliffs here are mostly made if this stuff.

Thank you all very much for your input

post-14411-0-79616700-1399851352_thumb.jpg

post-14411-0-12653100-1399851668_thumb.jpg

post-14411-0-58523900-1399851841_thumb.jpg

I thought it was some kind of a nautiloid too, but had doubts as it was missing that central tube that keeps them buoyant. Thank you very much for your guess. If I manage to detach the fossil any more I'll post more pictures.

The "layered" specimen looks to me to be a stromatoporoid - a sponge. They were once thought to be corals, but now are classified as sponges, and generally the ones in Ontario are silica sponges. In fact, they're fairly common in the Paleozoic rock of Southern Ontario. Where is your cliff? I could narrow down the age for you if I knew where the piece was from.

Sorry - didn't notice you had said it was from the "Cabot Head Formation". Now .... technically the Cabot Head Formation is a shale formation (a thick, clayey shale, not a thin fossiliferous one), so your fossil shouldn't have come from that layer. However the next layer up from the Cabot Head Shale is the Fossil Hill Dolostone, and that layer is THICK with sponges!! I have one from that very same layer. So your sponge is from the Fossil Hill Formation (which does outcrop at Cabot Head, and is the layer directly above the Cabot Head Shale in the northern part of the Escarpment).

I thought it was something starting with a "stroma". Anyways, I normally collect from the fossil hill formation as (as the name suggests) it has a lot of fossils in it. The rocks that I have here look nothing like any member of the fossil hill formation that I have ever witnessed. I'll do a more thorough search of the area to see if I find anything else that is interesting.