Help! What Is This? Found In South Dakota Near Missouri River

nikkijac

• New Members

Hello,

My dad found this near the Missouri river in South Dakota, near Fairfax SD. It's basically farm land now, and it's rather hilly. He found this last weekend and I told him I'd try to find out what it was. Any ideas?
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

post-15294-0-04552400-1400160040_thumb.jpg

post-15294-0-47531000-1400160065_thumb.jpg

Looks like a partial ammonite imprint to me. - Neat find. :)

Hopefully someone more familiar with the area will make a more detailed ID for you.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 rd vote for Ammonite print. Welcome to the Forum mam, from Tennessee.

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

I'm jumping on the band wagon with this one. Go out there and find some more!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Wow, Fairfax, I haven't heard of that town in years. My grandparents lived in Armour and we drove through Fairfax on the annual pilgrimage every summer from Wyoming. Ammonite impression is correct, how ever most South Dakotans will refer to it as a scaphite impression. If you can find the location he found it, look down hill a ways and you might find the scaphite. I always find a few that way. Is the Corn Palace still standing in Mitchell?

Jim

Old Dead Things

• New Members

Hi Jim,

That's funny- Mostly NO one knows of Fairfax. lol. My grandmother is there. And yes the Corn Palace is still standing strong. lol. Thank you for your help! I'll let my dad know what you posted, thanks!

My gut reaction to this was also ammonite but the ornamentation isn't as regular as I would expect for an ammonite.

I agree with Carl.... look at the patterns. They go into and out of each other more than your typical ammonite. Makes me wonder.

• New Members

And as you can see, on the left bottom part of the fossil, my dad said it broke off as he removed it.

My gut reaction to this was also ammonite but the ornamentation isn't as regular as I would expect for an ammonite.

I agree with Carl.... look at the patterns. They go into and out of each other more than your typical ammonite. Makes me wonder.

Some of those scaphites had age-variable ornamentation; changing as they grew larger. Too, this is a somewhat worn impression.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If it is an ammonite impression it is a scaphite, yes. And honestly, it probably is, but look at the lines going straight up and down in the first picture, they seem to form an x instead of a simple Y like scaphite ribs should do. I'm just saying....

If I had to bet, I would indeed say scaphite impression.

Jim (Old Dead Things) just stopped by and tried to convince that this thing is indeed a scaphite impression. I believe him. Scaphite impression.