Cape Girardeau Missouri Finds (Coral, Shell Imprints, Etc)

cherokeekid

dad mentioned there was an old dried up creek bed behind his work ( about 3 strides wide, south cape,less than 2 miles from the mississippi river) so i went back there to look around, came home with about 50 rocks with fossils on them. most crinoid and coral (common for the area)

these are my best finds from yesterday

100_7566_zpsea7f5964.jpg

100_7567_zpsd8f0323e.jpg

100_7573_zps90dc80bc.jpg

(2 parts, front has a cross section of maybe crinoid or coral)
100_7578_zps99de52f4.jpg

second half has the coral/crinoid stuff all over it, too bad its badly grinded down, still faint though, ive found many rocks like this all about 3 inches wide

100_7580_zps8af3c0ef.jpg

more coral stuff

100_7508_zps0e7875b9.jpg

side one

100_7552_zps21ddf71c.jpg

side two,,this is one of my favorite finds ever
100_7553_zps613424a4.jpg

thanks for looking

You are probably looking in the Mounds Gravel formation, laid down in the pleiocene by the braided ancestral Mississippi. The rock mostly actually originated in the Appalachians, with some also coming from the Michigan/Minnesota area.

fkaa

ashcraft, brent allen

You are probably looking in the Mounds Gravel formation, laid down in the pleiocene by the braided ancestral Mississippi. The rock mostly actually originated in the Appalachians, with some also coming from the Michigan/Minnesota area.

fkaa

ok cool

i remember you saying you were from cape in a post i made a year or 2 ago.the spot i was looking at was headed south on kings highway by the U-haul place back off towards the hill in that strip of woods.

That is probably the Mounds, but could be another fluvial deposit. If you keep heading down Kingshighway, where it crosses the road going to Illinois, that is the Plattin formation, and most of the outcrops along that road contain fossils (can't think of its name).

There are at least 4 members of the forum from the Cape area, not bad for such a small place.

fkaa

ashcraft, brent allen