Mazon Creek Fan Worm 2013

abach292

Had a great time on the ESCONI Mazon Creek trip! Good to see many of you again, hope everyone had a good haul!

I wanted to post a fan worm I found last year. Easily the best piece in my collection, hope some of my concretions from this year can top it though!

Also, I after the hill I went to pit 11 and found a nice fern! I was in the washouts south of Monster Lake and didn't find much else.

If anyone is open to a doing a trip out there later this summer let me know!

-Andrew

post-8665-0-67237100-1400457409_thumb.jpg

That's a beauty!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Never seen one with such definition... impressive.

Edited by Wrangellian

This is really a nice specimen but I am not sure this is a fan worm. If I am reading the picture correctly there are a great number of setae running along the body which is not a feature of this worm. Drop a note to rcfossils (Rob Coleman), he should be able to give you a definative ID.

Edited by BNN

That is one cool looking bristle worm, if that’s what it truly is.I’d like to see if the experts agree with that ID.May I suggest posting it on Fossil ID?

wow thanks so much for the comments and compliments!

I don't post often on here, but I do have a great time lurking and gawking at all your collections so it means a lot!

And I'll reach out to rcfossils, he helped me ID one before and I believe he was on the trip this weekend as well.

I never considered a bristle worm, but BNN might be right. I will post an update if I hear back, thanks!

It is definitely not a fan worm. It is one of the rarer polychaetes. Try and post some clear close up pictures and I should be able to ID it.

Congratulations on a great find

Thanks Uglyquack! and thanks Rob for taking a look at it!

It's the best piece in my collection I was so thrilled when it came out of the freezer! Would be great to get an ID on it.

Below are 2 more pictures of each half that have some more definition, what part of it are you looking at to ID?post-8665-0-38211700-1400634663_thumb.jpgpost-8665-0-35594400-1400634691_thumb.jpg

I do not think the head is preserved and I do not see any sign of the jaws. Based on the overall shape, my guess would be it it a nice example of the rare polychaete

Dryptoscolex matthiesae Thompson,1979.

What an amazing worm, Andrew! I was the Rob you saw last weekend. ;) Mr. Coleman wasn't there. He was a no show. :P Did you find that on the esconi trip last year? Or in another location?

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Hi Rob! Got mixed up, but good seeing you there! Wish we had more time to catch up, but I was doing pretty well in a ravine a few ridges over- the rain did great to uncover some good stuff! How'd you do at your spot?

This one was from the trip last year, took about 20 freeze thaws to get it open. Hopefully I have some luck with the haul this year, I have some promising ones I think.

Also, I spent some time at Pit 11, in the washed out area south of the parking lot and found a decent fern as well as a pyrite(?) deposit. I don't have many plants in my collection so I'd say that was an awesome collecting day right there haha