Mammoth Molar Fever

Scramblered

I pulled my biggest (still not fully complete) mammoth molar out of Joshua Creek yesterday along with other goodies, but this definitely took the prize. The roots are curved and the chewing surface is oddly worn and hollow down the center of the plates. The other mammoth molar fragment in the middle came out of the Peace River last week (just reporting it now), and the first one was out of the Peace as well from a few weeks ago.

Each piece is getting bigger and bigger, so hopefully the next one will be complete!

post-6050-0-74989700-1400551768_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-59978400-1400551787_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-79543400-1400551939_thumb.jpg

Just for a comparison here are the chewing surfaces and widths of the other fragments. They all look very different.

post-6050-0-40335800-1400552599_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-47091100-1400552624_thumb.jpg

...just a matter of time. Real nice finds. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Caleb,

Your persistence is paying off dividends.

I'm watching the river level dropping and wondering if I might get one more shot at sifting the Peace this season before the summer rains take their turn restocking the river's gravel beds with new goodies for next season. Seriously thinking about making the 3 hour hike over there this weekend and trying out my retrofitted sifting screen with 1/2" mesh. If you keep posting such gems as this, you'll make me so green with envy that I'll feel compulsively driven to try my luck again in the river.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you all! Fossil hunting is pretty addictive especially once you start finding really cool stuff.

Good luck to you Ken if you do head out. I believe the weather this week is supposed to be great.

It's in your cards Caleb, your whole one is just sitting there waiting to be found! :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Hi Caleb, killer finds! Thanks for showing them.

Lemon Tastycakes/Hostess pies are alot better than granola bars, but they will stunt your growth and should not be 2 a day's! Thanks! Regards, Chris