Mazon Creek Jelly Skirt Or Wing

Rob Russell

Hey Folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me clarify what I have here. Unfortunately, I had several Tupperware containers of nodules sitting out on my parents back stoop that I had been freezing and thawing over the winter. They were from three seperate sites, and all properly labeled to eliminate any cross contamination on my part. Foolishly I left them there until last weekend. :P. They were no longer arranged they way I had them, and were now stacked on top of each other. I'm worried my pops spilled some of them when draining water, and now they may be partially mixed up. This nodule came out of one of the containers that's from an all terrestrial site. However, I'm having a hard time believing that this is nothing but a jellyfish skirt. Any comments or opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Rob

post-2411-0-20358300-1400638651_thumb.jpg

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

After cleaning this fossil a bit, and locating my Mazon fossil fauna bible I'm leaning towards wing. What do you all think?

post-2411-0-47228000-1401631623_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-24430100-1401631979_thumb.jpg

I can't say it is not possible, but lack of detail leaves room for many alternate interpretations.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree entirely, Auspex. I may need to give it a vinegar bath to see if I can expose any more detail. Thanks for your reply.

Sadly, I've never been any good at parsing out some of the Mazon Creek stuff; just not really wired that way, I guess.

That, and it helps to have actual knowledge and lots of experience!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It does look a lot like an insect wing. Why don't you bring it to an ESCONI meeting to have someone there take a look at it? :)

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

Thanks for your reply Hannah, and I just may take your advice. It was a pleasure chatting with you in the woods a few weeks ago. We'll be down there this Saturday. I hope to see you out there! :)

Hi Rob,

I took a close look at your specimen and am not seeing anything that would indicate it being an insect.