Can Anyone Help Id This One?

MichelleW

I found this one while sifting a creek in Summerville, South Carolina. To me it appears to be some type of skull, possibly a nasal bone as I see the beginnings of eyesockets on the underside. I'm wondering if it's some type of bird or fish? Thanks!post-6666-0-30048600-1400780057_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-43219200-1400788296_thumb.jpg

Edited by MichelleW

Can you get a top view please? It looks similar to a skull fragment. But clearer pics and more are necessary for an ID.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I've added the top view; I thought I loaded it before but apparently not! Thanks!

It does look like a partial skull. But it doesn't look "fishy" to me. It looks more mammal or avian. I'll reference my collection when i get home.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I couldn't find a match or anything similar, sorry. Hopefully someone else can recognize this, and get an ID for you.

~Charlie~

looks like a fish skull element to me.

I agree possibly partial parasphenoid bone

I have attached an image of an example ( not saying that this is the species in the original post just a comparison ) but I may be wrong

best regards Chris :)

post-6560-0-44548300-1400864728_thumb.png

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

I bet you're right. I kept seeing a little skull, but now I see it is just a part. Seeing this picture also helped me understand the orientation. Thanks!post-6666-0-87451200-1400878717_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-87451200-1400878717_thumb.jpg

Edited by MichelleW

All I can add is that it is not avian.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!