Dinosaur Garden

Bev

post-9628-0-61125600-1401329206_thumb.jpg

I've been going to schools and giving away fossils for the Caleb Scheer Memorial Fossil Giveaway, many are fossils that TFF members sent me or dropped off. I've been giving the dinosaur (Old Dead Things) and the Baculite (John K.) fossils to the teachers as they would appreciate them. I even created a little dinosaur diorama for less than $5 to take to schools to show the teachers what they could do with their fossils in having the children class after class create their own dioramas with the fossils.

post-9628-0-45975500-1401329486_thumb.jpg

Several of the teachers and others have encouraged me to open my place to tours. I do have the "Bev Formation" after all. :) And I have LOTS of fossils! I have given up trying to keep all the fossils in the house or even in 5 gallon pails - there are just too many.

My first tour is on June 14th, a group of boy scouts and then I have a couple of Early Childhood tours lined up too. So I thought I would create a Dinosaur Garden to kind of show how fossils are found. I thought this may interest the teachers and young parents, or even grandparents (my age group), on TFF.

Continued...

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

At MAPS I picked up some small toy dino skulls and some small toy dino skeletons. I siliconed the dino skulls to a rock and pushed sand all around them. Chele's T-rex find in the Hell Creek Formation gave me this idea.

post-9628-0-25909500-1401330110_thumb.jpg

I brushed off most of the sand so you could see them. :)

I had laid black plastic down and put mulch over it. The sandy spots you are seeing, if you look really close you can see parts of the skeletons exposed that would simulate what would happen in nature. Push away a bit of sand and mulch and the skeleton becomes exposed.

post-9628-0-20151800-1401330268_thumb.jpg

If you have 4-8 year olds around, you probably have dino toys around. It might be a fun learning garden, at least that is what I am trying to accomplish.

I have a sandbox with fossils and minerals and sharks teeth in it. I added the minerals when a family came over an the older son (perhaps 11 or 12) was more fascinated with my quartz than he was in the fossils. It is very interesting to watch the kids rummage through the sand and see what they pick out. FYI, I collected the sand from the St. Peter Formation. Hmmm, didn't take a picture of that yet.

But if this is something that interests you, on my Fossil Adventure Blog I have put a tab at the top "Educational Tours" and am slowly filling it in. Yes, I am charging $2 a child, adults free, but it compensates me for my time and purchases as I am disabled and on a fixed income. The fossils given away are free. :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Very fun! Have you considered getting registered with your local Boy Scout council as a Geology merit badge counselor?

• I found this Informative 1

Very fun! Have you considered getting registered with your local Boy Scout council as a Geology merit badge counselor?

Wow, never knew about that! Will have to check it out. Thanks! :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

That's really great Bev!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John