Western Ny Middle Devonian Centerfield Limestone

collector

I was wondering if it is possible to ID what these fossil fragments are from. I'm also hoping someone can tell me what the iridescent mineral is in the 1st photo. The fossil with the iridescent part is ~ 2 inches long.

Thank you for any help you can give. Patti

post-13012-0-13050500-1401655205_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-77820500-1401655215_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-99091200-1401655226_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-13818900-1401655236_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-59264500-1401655245_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-78198800-1401655253_thumb.jpg

I am thinking it might be calcite, try putting a little vinegar on it and see if it bubbles. If not it could be sphalerite by the color. The fossil in the first and second could be a nautiloids. The fourth looks a little like an amminoid, but from the picture it is hard to tell. I did see some fragments of brachiopods and maybe a small part of a trilobite.

I would venture a guess that the iridescent mineral is Pyrite. As for the rest of your fossils, they look to be cross sections of Brachiopods to me.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This rock looks more like a partial nodule from the Cashaqua shale. This unit has a lot of Cephalopods in it like Manticoceras and Bactrites. It breaks apart often splitting the cephs in half. The interiors of the cephs are calcite and aragonite. Where did you find this?

Mikey

• I found this Informative 1

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Thank you for the responses. I had to go back with higher magnification and there are small brachiopods. I tried a small amount of vinegar on the iridescent one and it didn't appear to bubble. Mikey, I found it in East Bethany, Genesee Co. To me the larger ones seem more like cephalopods. It is a shame that they are all broken. It makes me wonder what it inside the rock.

Patti

The first and last photos show sections through a straight-shelled nautiloid; Bactrites (as Mikeymig suggests) is a reasonable possibility. The sections show a couple of septa (the part of the shell that forms dividers between chambers), and there is a bit of a suture line on the specimen.

For the others, brachiopod sections and short pieces of cephalopods seems likely.

Don

Did you find these near Francis Road? If so that is likely Ludlowville Fm. I don't recall too many nodules in that but there are some around.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The first and last photos show sections through a straight-shelled nautiloid; Bactrites (as Mikeymig suggests) is a reasonable possibility. The sections show a couple of septa (the part of the shell that forms dividers between chambers), and there is a bit of a suture line on the specimen.

For the others, brachiopod sections and short pieces of cephalopods seems likely.

Don

Thanks FossilDAWG. It makes sense to me. :)

Did you find these near Francis Road? If so that is likely Ludlowville Fm. I don't recall too many nodules in that but there are some around.

I did find this by Francis Rd. Thank you for the formation. I have a USGS map that I am trying to use but is from Avon, NY and east. I need the next one over also. I think that was the only rock of that matrix that I picked up the day I was there. I have a few from Avon that are similar in matrix and the fossilization looks the same as well. There are gastropods and brachiopods in those.

Patti

So pardon my curiosity, but did you pick the rock up from the limestone rubble that they use to line the old railroad bed or did you find it buried in the hillside or on top of it? Want to make sure it really is from the Ludlowville which is exposed in the hillside and is generally crumbly grey shale.

-Dave