Made It To St. Leon. Pics Added!

JimTh

As posted before, I wanted to go to St Leon this summer. I had an unexpected schedule change and found myself with Friday wide open. TFF member Cryptidsaurian was able to meet there and give me some pointers. He even gave me two small enrolled trilos he found. His help was immensely valuable as it gave me the area to look in and what to look for. I don't think I would have been looking for 1/4" enrolled trilobites without him handing me two first. Thanks!

First, the roadcut is huge. Absolutely huge. There are marine invertebrate fossils EVERYWHERE. I took off walking down a terrace to meet Cs and immediately saw "turkey tracks" and a large slab that was covered in what I think are bryozoa. Reminds me of elk horn coral. I think every single rock has some sort of fossil in it. Some of them are just solid shells.

Cs had to leave early, and shortly after he departed, I found my first trilo. Just a little bit was exposed in the dirt. It was a small enrolled one, but with the thorax and tail stretched out a bit. Later I found another embedded in shale with just the top showing. Found another tiny one under some rocks somebody had stacked up. Then I found my last one sitting on the surface, it was about dime sized enrolled and my largest by far. My four + Cs's 2 means I went home with 6 trilos!

Aside from those I also found:

some nice horn corals, including one that is worm eaten with bryozoa growing on it

some great brachiopods of different species, including one that broke open to reveal quartz crystals inside

cephalopod molds

gastropod molds (I passed on one gastropod that I think was not a mold, only later did I realize it was probably from a whole different layer than the others and a different species completely, doh!)

lots of trilobite pieces that I did not bring home

I think I have a piece of Isotelus, has very fine detail top and bottom

I have a mystery piece. I turned over a piece of shale and found a 2-3" oval gently curved surface with two pronounced bumps at one end. The bumps are fossils, they are very finely dimpled, I just don't know if they are an amazingly lucky bryozoa configuration or if just maybe I found a near complete Isotelus and they are the eyes. I need to wash and scrub it to see.

I'll get more pics up eventually. Pics up! I haven't even had time to clean and closely examine what I brought home yet. I am going to try to look at my mystery fossil tonight.

Trilobites and fragments. ID? Biggest is about 3/8"

trilobites_zps76d3e5da.jpg

Horn corals. The two big ones have a lot going on.

horns_zpsf1a05230.jpg

Brachiopods. I love the amount of detail on the top left one.

brachs_zpsc2f21806.jpg

Group shot with the top out of focus. Cephalopods bottom middle. Pseudo Isotelus bottom right, see the two "eyes"? Isotelus hypostomus piece left middle. Bryozoa near center. Gastropod molds center right.

group_zps69be07bf.jpg

Here's a picture of a ~5' long slab covered in fossils. Bryozoa or corals?

StLeonPlate_zpsa937b8c5.jpg

Edited by JimTh

Great report. That slab is awesome and full of Bryozoa. I have something similar that I brought home as a yard rock that I like to examine from time to time.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing this! Im going to make this a weekend trip!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

So I figured out that the possible piece of Isotelus is indeed a piece of a hypostoma. That's why it has the texturing top and bottom.

Shamalama,

I brought home about a 2' slab that I was able to split down to about 1.5-2" thick.

fossilized6s,

The roadcut is on highway 1 north of St Leon. I thought it was on IN-46 at first.

trilobites are flexicalymene. I'd like to see the hypostoma.

Edited by hrguy54

Great report and finds!

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Haha, the one kn the stacked rocks was another I meant to give you, it was actually the first I found that day. :P

Great finds. Congrats. Love seeing the Ordovician stuff, especailly the brachiopods and gsstropods. Wish St. Leon was around here.