Spring Fossil Trip - Part 3

Shamalama

Here is the last bit of my trip report from a few weeks ago:

Wednesday was a meeting I was looking forward to with Mikeymigs. We met at the Wegmans in Geneseo, NY and proceeded to drive to the Fall Brook south of town. Mikey led the way along a trail that is much easier to navigate than the steep cliff that most people, and college students, scrabble down to get to the creek and falls. The falls upstream are really fantastic and the recent rain had them in all their glory.

IMG_20140514_104122_936.jpg

Once I'd snapped a few pics of the waterfall I joined Mikey down stream where he was already prying up sections from the creek bed of harder limy shale to split and look for Trilobites. He gave me some pointers and I set about to work. He'd brought a large wrecking bar along, which I did not have, and that made the job a lot easier than my method: trying to hit a chisel head that was partially submerged in the water. I had some success with my method but better finds were made when Mikey pried up large chunks.

Our work site...

Fall Brook panorama1

I was thrilled when I made my first find of the day which was a Graptolite (which I'd never seen in Devonian sediments before). It's is a specimen of Dictyonema hamiltoniae and I found three other examples plus Mikey found the couterpart to the first piece I found.

The first specimen

IMG 0473

and it's counterpart

IMG 0477

A closeup of the fossil

IMG 0478

The piece that Mikey found shows evidence that the Graptolite was preserved in three dimensions. The picture below shows a view of fossil looking up from the bottom with the exposed side on the left. On the right side, where the arrow is pointing, is a small exposed piece that I believe is a different portion of the colony and angle away from a common point.

IMG 0474

A second specimen

IMG 0479

IMG 0481

As we were working Mikey commented that we were not finding near as many Trilobites as we should be in his experience. We both found a couple of rollers with Mikey finding a nice small Greenops too. One of my pieces has three rollers near each other but the rock split as I was trimming it in the field.

IMG 0469

IMG 0470

IMG 0471

Another nice roller

IMG 0464

IMG 0466

IMG 0467

IMG 0468

I think it will glue back together and be ok to prep. We were both a little tired of prying and splitting the rock and it was getting harder to find looser pieces in the creek bed so we called it an early day since Mikey had to go to another appointment anyway. I had a great time with Mikey and he is very knowledgeable. I wish I hadn't slept in so late and could have met him earlier in the day so we could collect even more.

Thursday was meant to be another all day in the field but with the way the weather was looking for Friday down in Philly I decided to head home that day rather than wait until the next. I did fit in a couple of stops along the way like a roadcut along I-80 that exposed the Bertie/Bois Blanc formations. There was no really good place to park so I only spent a few minutes at the exposue.

IMG_20140513_152814_525.jpg

IMG_20140513_153114_007.jpg

I did manage to find a few interesting coral cross sections in some Dolostone (Bertie formation?) that I believe are Cystiphylloides sp.

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

Also on the way was to a new site for me near Fayette, NY. It's a quarry that is operated by the town for fill and gravel. In the quarry wall is exposed the contact between the Skaneteles formation and the Ludlowville Formation. More specifically the Levanna shale and the Centerfield mbr. respectively. I'd seen a description of the site on Karl Wilson's webpage and when I called the town up was pleased to hear they allowed access (so long as you sign a release and schedule your visit). The day I got there they had left the gate open for me and I drove in. There was quite a bit of wood piled in the open areas but access to the working face was easy enough. The fossils are generally small and scattered throughout the exposure so some searching is required.

A view of the quarry...

Fayette Town Quarry panorama1

I found a couple large Spinocyrtina granulosa brachiopods...

IMG_0895.JPG

And large Tropidoleptus carinatus brachiopods from the Centerfield member

IMG_0901.JPG

The Levanna shale has a typical black shale fauna of Leiorhynchus multicostus with a few other surprises like this Paracyclas sp. pelecypod

IMG_0913.JPG

Or this Pholidostrophia sp. brachiopod.

IMG_0925.JPG

There were some thin beds composed entirely of Styliolina sp. shells

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

This was the best piece with Leiorhynchus multicostus fossils all over it on several layers.

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

I even found a small portion of a geodized brachiopod. Not as nice as those from Kentucky but still pretty neat.

IMG_0909.JPG

I loaded the last of my finds up and turned my car south towards home. It had been a good week of collecting and I got to catch up with some good friends from the Forum.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Excellent conclusion to a great adventure, Dave!

Congrats on all of your finds.

The graptolites are cool.

Thanks for taking the time to post this entire trip - lots of work put into it - it is appreciated.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You had me at 3-D Devonian graptolites :)

Great report!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is my favorite series in your trilogy. :)

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Plax - Yes, a good portion of the colony is present in the fossil. Think of them like fenestrate bryozoans or sea fans. However in this case I think they were floating rather than attached to the sea floor.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This is my favorite series in your trilogy. :)

mikey

Gee, I wonder why? :P

-Dave

Excellent conclusion to a great adventure, Dave!

Congrats on all of your finds.

The graptolites are cool.

Thanks for taking the time to post this entire trip - lots of work put into it - it is appreciated.

Regards,

Thanks Tim. Let me know if you are doing any trips to Herkimer of Buffalo this summer.

-Dave

Thanks Tim. Let me know if you are doing any trips to Herkimer of Buffalo this summer.

Dave, I will be making the annual pilgrimage to "the Firehouse" ( you know where I mean) on July 5th - plan to meet Carmine and maybe another member or two. ;)

Would be great to meet you if you can swing it! And Herkimer may be something for later in the summer.

Will definitely let you know.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Dave, I collected there a couple days ago and the site was washed clean. They must have had one heck of a storm cuz it's been 10 years or more since the outcrop was fully exposed. So much more places to collect and I will post a specimen i found that I know you will appreciate.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Dave, I collected there a couple days ago and the site was washed clean. They must have had one heck of a storm cuz it's been 10 years or more since the outcrop was fully exposed. So much more places to collect and I will post a specimen i found that I know you will appreciate.

Mikey

Can't wait to see it! No bloated muskrats this time?

-Dave

• 7 years later...

Hello @Shamalama,

I'll be up around Fall Brook tomorrow, and wanted to ask, did you search in the creek water itself? Are there dryer spots you can pull shale up? I have plans to stop at Penn Dixie as well but figure I'd check this site out. 

I haven't been able to find much information on Fall Brook so I'll take any advice you could spare. 

Thank you,

Steve

And thanks for sharing, very nice finds!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I hope you had some good luck at the creek. You can work on slabs in the water and along the banks in places.  Do not undermine any trees or cliff faces!

Dave

-Dave