Premolar- Cat?

Sacha

I'd appreciate opinions/confirmation on a tooth I picked up June 3rd from the Peace. The tooth I'm holding in the top photo is the subject tooth.

post-12135-0-32625600-1401886206_thumb.jpg

The left tooth in this following photo is a previous find (broken) identified by Richard Hulbert as a cat (Jaguar/Lion??) lower molar or 1st pre-molar. The tooth on the right is the new tooth, with 1 of 2 roots intact.

post-12135-0-66752300-1401885990_thumb.jpg

The deep grooves impress me as a cat tooth, but pre-molars always confuse me.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Sacha

It could be cat. The problem is that dog and cat molars look similar. Maybe you should send a picture of it to the Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, Florida? It's a great find though! :thumbsu:

Thank you everyone. This is only the 4th positively ID'ed cat fossil I've gotten in 3 years (2 teeth a toe bone and a vert). I've found twice as many bear, 4 times as many Dire wolf, even a couple dog, fox, raccoon and skunk fossils, but those cats are hard to come by. Carnivores are where it's at and a day I find an addition to my very thin "meat eater" collection is a good day.

Edited by Sacha

For you, by any standard, June 3 was a very good day!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, Awesome find John!!!!! Congrats! :envy:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!