Savannah River Finds

Phillip

some more stuff i found on the savannah river today... only one i'm not 100% sure what it is are the two longest ones. If you can ID them all that'd be great, but those are really the only ones I need to know.

post-13071-0-80394600-1402182248_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phillip

The long black piece looks like a sting ray barb, the first longer tooth looks like it's from a fish. Nice finds!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

The first (longest) might be a mammal tooth root.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

... On the right a bony fish vertebra and a Myliobatis or Rhinoptera ray tooth, hard to say seen so far away from just one angle.

also found about 80+ shark teeth: couple megs, mako's, tigers, great whites and surprisingly a couple nice hemipristis along with some bone fragments, fossilized clams, and maybe five ray teeth.

better pic of the second one...

post-13071-0-58308200-1402187612_thumb.jpg

i think these are all ray teeth, but i'm not entirely sure.post-13071-0-02835400-1402188255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phillip

i think these are all ray teeth, but i'm not entirely sure.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

These are all ray teeth. Like that, i would say 2 Rhinoptera, 2 myliobatis and one aetobatus, but it would be necessary to see clear pictures from different views to be sure about the first four.

Edited by Sélacien34

Phillip Posted Yesterday, 07:03 PM

some more stuff i found on the savannah river today... only one i'm not 100% sure what it is are the two longest ones. If you can ID them all that'd be great, but those are really the only ones I need to know.

Since you know what the other three fossils are, Phillip, why don't you tell us. I'm particularly curious about the fossil second from the right - between the section of stingray barb and the ray pavement tooth. What is it?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry- its some sort of vertabrae, i'm not sure from which species. We find them all the time where we dig, smaller than that up to two inches long.

thanks for the replies everyone, now I just need to sort through the deformed shark teeth...

so everyone agrees the first is a mammal tooth root? When I found it, i thought it may be some sort of talon. My specialty is obviously in shark teeth...

Edited by Phillip