Fossil Ids Needed From Harrogate, Tn

Zapins

I found these near the medical school I'll be going to in a month for the next 4 years :) So I'll have plenty of time (or maybe not due to the studying) to search the outcrop I found these at.

What is this? A leaf? A squashed lizard or fish spine?

IMG_20140223_173448_259.jpg

I assume this is one of those helicopter tree seeds?

IMG_20140223_173423_771.jpg

Some kind of leaf?

IMG_20140223_173642_629.jpg

No idea what this is.

IMG_20140223_173512_899.jpg

1 - looks like a Calamites sp. node.

2 - looks like a partial, indeterminate leaf.

3 - looks like a Neuropteris sp. leaf.

4 - looks like a Calamites stem section.

It would appear that it is a carboniferous era outcrop.

Regards,

EDIT: According to this geological map, at least part of Claiborne County has Pennsylvanian aged sediments - the other part is Ordovician aged.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks.

Do you think there is a possibility that I could find non-plant specimens at this location? Perhaps insects or small vertebrates? Or is that not very likely?

Thanks.

Do you think there is a possibility that I could find non-plant specimens at this location? Perhaps insects or small vertebrates? Or is that not very likely?

Possible, but Carboniferous insect fossils are rare, and vertebrates vanishingly so.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Interesting. Why are insects rare? Weren't they extremely common in that era?

Interesting. Why are insects rare? Weren't they extremely common in that era?

Not as common as plants, but yes, they were numerous. The difference in occurrence in the fossil record is no doubt a matter of preservation; the bacteria that 'ate' insects had been around for quite a while, but plants had more recently added lignin to their make up, and neither insects nor bacteria were good (yet) at breaking it down. This is one of the reasons that we have such massive deposits of coal from that era.

Insect fossils are really a product of very rapid burial in an oxygen-deprived low-energy environment, which really only occurs in special circumstances.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

they were common but dont preserve well, Most Pennsylvanian sediments dont lend themselves to preserving insects. It takes very fine grained sediments (Florrisant ash or resins for example) to preserve insects.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hmm a pity. It would have been interesting to find some. Apparently insects aren't found in early carboniferous layers, usually only the later layers.

Some sites are better than others: LINK

I would still keep my eyes open, you might find such a site!