My Son And I Yesterday

rejd

Hi all, my son and I decided to go our for a fossil hunt yesterday. The day did not start out great as it was raining when we got to the site but my little man is a trooper. I asked him a few times if he wanted to go as it seemed he was getting cold but he said "no way! this is too much fun!" LOL. By around noon the sun came out and we dried up nicely. We did not find a lot, as in good stuff to take home as there is a ton of bone fragments around, but we did manage a few nice pieces. My son found a nice small theropod tooth. Found a nice size Chamsosaur vert, a little ways down the coulee I found a piece of Baculites and a piece with baculites and shell impressions on it, which shocked me. I need to do a little research as I was not aware these were in the area. On the "not fossil finds list" we found this little bat under a rock. He was not pleased to see us. Also found this nice skull. What it is I have no idea but maybe someone here can help. I beleive it is a type of rodent but that is my best guess.

Regardless of what I find it is always a great day when I can get out fossil hunting with my son. We had a great day.

post-6472-0-39292100-1402340022_thumb.jpg

post-6472-0-14119300-1402340036_thumb.jpg

post-6472-0-08478000-1402340050_thumb.jpg

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

You got yourself a rabbit skull there, as well as some nice fossils. The 3rd in the first batch of photos may not be a fossil, however. Damned great way to spend the day: making another paleontologist.

Your son is a real trooper!

I believe your bat is a Hoary Bat; very neat to get a good look at one!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congrats on your finds!

And thanks for posting your trip with your son. My 5 year old likes collecting with me and he gets a kick out of seeing pics of other kids enjoying the activity as well.

-Clayton

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever"

- Carl Segan

Thanks all. Yes he is a trooper. I was very proud of him for sticking it out. As for the 3 pic in the first batch I am sure it is a fossil and likely a secton of baculites. Here is another pic of it.

post-6472-0-79109100-1402346786_thumb.jpg

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Sounds like the trips I take with my daughter Rebecca. The skull is a rabbit and the dino tooth is awesome.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Excellent trip report, pics, and finds!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

So glad to see that your son enjoys it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks all. Yes he is a trooper. I was very proud of him for sticking it out. As for the 3 pic in the first batch I am sure it is a fossil and likely a secton of baculites. Here is another pic of it.

Aha!! I see it now - thanks!

Great photos and love that theropod tooth. Bucket list item for me one day. Congrats!

Nice piece of baculites...too bad the suture lines are so weathered.

Very nice finds, pics and report. The site photo is awesome! Man, I would be like a kid in a candy store if I was there!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif