Back From Pacific Northwest Trip

hardlyatwork

Hi guys

just got back from an awesome trip starting in Washington and ending in California with my wife for our one year anniversary.

We flew into Seattle, where we stopped by The Old Curiosity Shop, which by the way if you have never been and happen to love freakshow odditites, is definitely worth the time.

The pacific northwest is beautiful and it seemed that we were able to find fossils at almost every beach stop from Washington to Oregon.

Our goal was to find some concretions with crabs in them. Thanks to CH4ShotCaller for the advice and everyone else who provided information, we were able to locate some possible suspects but won't know if they contain anything until we can get into them. would love some help/advice on that front.

We slowly made our way back home where we stopped to pan for gold and visited glass beach at Fort Bragg. alas, no gold was found, but i did catch a newt/salamander. glass beach was true to its name, a beach made of sea glass!!

While sitting in traffic (we were in California so no surprise there) on the 101 by Atascadero we decided to use see if there were any fossil locations in the area. We managed to locate one called Shell Creek close to Santa Margarita. Managed to pull a large beautiful shell from the hardened matrix and a possible arrowhead from the area as well.

The sun was already low by the time we were ready to leave, yet we contemplated keeping the rental for one more day so we could head directly west to Jalama or Gaviota beach. Guess the vacation had to end sometime...

Here is a list of where we found our fossils:

concretions- porter, Wa

cockle- Beverly beach, Or

rock with quartz inside it- Battle Rock, Or

large shell- Shell Creek, ca

arrowhead- Shell Creek, ca

post-15230-0-40734900-1402378700_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-01998500-1402378702_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-51681400-1402378703_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-65615100-1402378704_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-02846200-1402378706_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-27259000-1402378707_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-26726400-1402378708_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-68119000-1402378709_thumb.jpg

post-15230-0-47076500-1402378731_thumb.jpg

Edited by hardlyatwork

good times. my wife and i will hit the 2 yr mark before we have a shot at a honeymoon. i'll let her drive the proverbial bus this time, even if it isn't heading (for once) straight toward fossilville...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice trip report and pics. Concretions look very promising, in fact, I think I see something in one already :) ! Let us know what ya find and if you need any help, just ask. Did you find those concretions at the cliff wall/ditch along Highway 12 or off road? If along the highway, it's a substantial ticket if they catch you. I was warned years ago from a Trooper to stay clear. :ninja:

1st pic bottom left looks great and the 2nd pic further right has that classic 'kidney bean' shape that I'm always hunting, good chance of a crab in that one!

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Nice trip report and pics. Concretions look very promising, in fact, I think I see something in one already :) ! Let us know what ya find and if you need any help, just ask. Did you find those concretions at the cliff wall/ditch along Highway 12 or off road? If along the highway, it's a substantial ticket if they catch you. I was warned years ago from a Trooper to stay clear. :ninja:

1st pic bottom left looks great and the 2nd pic further right has that classic 'kidney bean' shape that I'm always hunting, good chance of a crab in that one!

i'm glad you're telling me the concretions look promising, and yes we found them along hwy 12, so thanks for the heads up!

Sounds like a wonderful time. And some good lookin concs there too! Good luck.

it really was. the pacific northwest is fantastic area to visit. keeping my fingers crossed!

good times. my wife and i will hit the 2 yr mark before we have a shot at a honeymoon. i'll let her drive the proverbial bus this time, even if it isn't heading (for once) straight toward fossilville...

it'll be worth the wait when you finally get to go.

Wow, that glass beach is really different. I've never seen that much glass on a beach before. Thanks for posting.

Marco Sr.

i would definitely recommend making it a stop if you are out this way. the beach is really quite incredible.

try CT scanning the concretions. Bring them to the local hospital and ask nicely if they will help you look for crabs in rocks at some time when they are not overbooked with actual paying customers.