Radiolitid ?

Frankie

I found this fossil in a nearby creek here in Cabo Rojo,Puerto Rico. I was told it is a Radiolitid but I do not know much else and was hoping you guys can give me more information like from what time period they are from and is this a common size for them,etc. Thanx.

Note: The diameter of this quarter is exactly one inch.

post-3784-0-94348400-1402376333_thumb.jpg

Yes that is a rudist. I don't know the area so I can't pin down the species but Radiolitid is pretty good I think. Common size isn't a matter of big they get but rather how long they get. Most rudists are during the Cretaceous Period, at least the ones I find, and they were reef builders much like coral is today. There is a lot of information out there especially for ones in your area. I have found a few PDF files pertaining to your region regarding rudists. I will see if I have a chance tonight to upload them. Don't let anyone lie to you, rudists are cool.

Thanx Ryan....Is the gap between the outer layers normal or was this radiolitid deformed during fossilization?

post-3784-0-67525300-1402421405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frankie

From what I see in the pictures it looks normal. Most of mine have crystals on the inside. Have you found any others?

So far this is the only one but every time I go to the creek I am always on the lookout. I even taught my kids and their friends to be on the lookout when they go to the creek. Back in 2004 we went to a creek at the sierra bermeja mountain range a few miles from my house and one of the kids found a small rock with a perfect imprint of a leaf on it and I told him to keep it in a safe place. Last year I asked about it and he said he lost it. I never got an ID on it nor did I photograph it. Live and learn.

I forgot about this one. This one looks like it can also be a Radiolitid only larger. I took a photo of the bottom and then the top and as you can see the top of this one looks different than the other smaller one I posted. looks like this one is missing the top shell. Let me know what you think. Thanx.

post-3784-0-06776300-1402437285_thumb.jpg

Bottom View

post-3784-0-03116900-1402437320_thumb.jpg

Top View

nice specimen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

nice specimen

Thanx. would you believe that it was sitting on a canopy for over a year? I used it as a paper weight to prevent the wind from blowing away the tarp I was using while painting. It was hard to get to when I removed the tarp so I left it there and forgot about it till yesterday when Ryan asked if I had any more radiolitids.

Thanx Ryan. They have some very interesting photos. It looks like slicing them brings out more detail but I'm not sure I want to that to mine just yet.

Never sliced mine. I hadn't thought of it but I have plenty to experiment on. If those are the only two you have then I would keep them the way they are except for a little prep work.

Never sliced mine. I hadn't thought of it but I have plenty to experiment on. If those are the only two you have then I would keep them the way they are except for a little prep work.

I'll see what I can do as far as preping it. Thanx.