Glyptodont Or Holmesina

megaholic

Found this in the Peace River. I have a couple hundred of these, but all are only about 1/4 inch thick. This one is a whopping 5/8 inch. or .625, or 3cm thick. My confusion is that it exactly resembles the smaller giant armadillos, and I have not seen these from a glyptodont that were not in the shape of the rosette. This specimen is a normal thickness for the rosettes I find, but WAY too thick for the "Domino" armor that is so common.
post-5963-0-00958100-1402438169_thumb.jpg

post-5963-0-14795200-1402438171_thumb.jpg

post-5963-0-75566700-1402438174_thumb.jpg

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

It is a very nice (and thick) example of a Holmesina armor plate. Most of these plates seem to be in the form of a 5-sided polygon but the ones from the bands around the middle were more rectangular. If you do a Google image search for "Holmesina floridanus Skeleton" you will see a decent image of the reconstructed one on exhibit at the Florida Museum of Natural History. You can see the variation in shapes for these osteoderms. Even on very worn examples pulled from the Peace River they key to identifying these (at least for me) is to look for the beveled edges and finely porous surface. They mostly seem to have a slight keel along the middle of each plate as can easily be seen in your nice photos. Glypto rosettes always tend to have some signs of the tesselated honeycomb patterning. I've never noticed distinctly beveled edges on glypto armor and they always seem to be much more poroous than the Holmesina material.

Hope this helps--kudos on the great quality plate. I found a nice one when I was out last time as well.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Here is a picture of the Holmesina I took several years back at the Fl. Museum at Gainsville----Tom

post-3940-0-33803100-1402447112_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks for the info everyone. I knew it was very different when I picked it up. Could not possibly be a new species???

I guess I will send the pics to Dr Hulbert, just in case he is interested.

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

I found these 2 on the same day about a week ago. I think (maybe incorrectly) that the differences in size were due to adult male vs female or juvenile. Maybe maybe not...

post-2220-0-69315500-1402503780_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-14797100-1402503793_thumb.jpg

This one above is 55x33x9 mm and a little narrower especially on the top edge, than normal.

post-2220-0-43492800-1402503885_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-86616300-1402503897_thumb.jpg

This one is quite a bit narrower in the range of 4mm and also seems to be an edge piece.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

A single osteoderm wouldn't be enough to support a new species. I think the seasonal change, that Harry's post mentioned, is a more likely scenario. Or perhaps it is just an interspecific morphology of Holmesina. The FLMNH collection will certainly have more examples to compare than I do, let us know what Richard says.