Is This Fossil Or What?

hopyan

Looks like one to me. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I'm going to try and upload a photo of the closest fossil that I can find - seeing that some of your fossil edges have been broken off.

Can you also tell us in what area the fossil was found? Do you know anything about the geologic age of the area?

costispirifer-fossil_zpsbbd03ab1.jpg

I have an Audubon book of fossils, and they have a picture that looks more like your fossil. On the left side of the photo above you can see somewhat where the striations go in different directions like your sample.

Edited by Roadrunner

my best guess from what I can see would be Chione or Lirophora. A view from the side would help ID

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I'm going to try and upload a photo of the closest fossil that I can find - seeing that some of your fossil eges have been broken off.

Can you also tell us in what area the fossil was found? Do you know anything about the geologic age of the area?

costispirifer-fossil_zpsbbd03ab1.jpg

I have an Audubon book of fossils, and they have a picture that looks more like your fossil. On the left side of the photo above you can see somewhat where the striations go in different directions like your sample.

i found it in western desert in egypt ,,,the geologic age of the area .The third geological time. Oligocene ,Eocene ,Paleocene

i'll upload more photos

my best guess from what I can see would be Chione or Lirophora. A view from the side would help ID

I knew someone in here had better experience and could do better than I. ^_^

Edited by Roadrunner

From that angle I would say it's an oyster of some sort, possibly "Crassostrea sp.."?

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Scroll down about half-way to look at the Luning brachiopod fossils;

http://inyo.coffeecup.com/site/brachiopods/brachiopods.html

I am certain that the specimen in question is not a brachiopod; each valve is asymmetrical, and a mirror image of the other.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am certain that the specimen in question is not a brachiopod; each valve is asymmetrical, and a mirror image of the other.

Yup - you're right, it looks that way on one side. And yet the 1st picture on post # 10 looks convex on our right, and concave on our left. And I've got a lot to learn. :blush:

Edited by Roadrunner

100% certain it's a pelecypod, probably oyster. What age do you think it is? It looks fairly recent to me, maybe from the Neogene.

Lots of marine Eocene exposed in Egypt; might be a good starting point for a search?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Lots of marine Eocene exposed in Egypt; might be a good starting point for a search?

Eocene through Pliocene, Best guess.