Restarting The La Brea Tar Pits Dig

Scylla

The article says they've collected a million fossils from this one pit! I suspect they still have quite a bit of curation work to be done on those, if anyone in the Los Angeles area wants to volunteer some time.

I actually DID get to do a little 'digging' at La Brea back in the mid-1980s. It was a fascinating...if incredibly MESSY experience! It takes a lot of work to get that asphalt/tar off your skin!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

M.E.K. - Methel Ethel Keytone will take it right off... you might get liver damage later in life... but, at least your skin will be asphalt free. A mere small price to pay I'd say.

I wonder how effective the "Dawn" soap method would work? I seemed to do a lot of good cleaning the animals after the Exxon Valdez incident.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I would just wait the seven days or so for the outer layers of skin to just slough off. The tar should go with it. That's better than liver damage. As far as a million specimens, if you curated one per hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, every week with two weeks a year for vacation, then it would only take 500 years.

A two week vacation??!!! Oh no you dont, get back to work!!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I've had good luck using olive oil on sticky bits of tar and oil for removal, a splash of water, lather it up and viola!