Little Clam With A Big Story

AndreaN

Hey everyone!

I wanted to share this little brachiopod and its story with you. The fossil itself is very small and finding it wasn't a big deal, but what was happening when it was found makes this little guy my prized fossil.

Here's the story: my boyfriend Sean is a US Army Veteran. He got hurt in Iraq and was medically discharged in 2011. In 2012, we noticed a bump on his arm that ended up being a cyst, and it went away, or so we thought. Around Christmas 2012, Sean had a seizure. It scared the daylights out of me. By March 2013, Sean was having several seizures a day and developed Tourette's out of nowhere. By June, the TS and seizures were out of control. We were geocaching and rock hounding and had just started fossil hunting by early July. We had to stop, and only had a few weeks in. We had some tests done and in September, we found out that Sean has about 200 cysts in his brain. They aren't cancerous and some are so small they can't be seen without special imaging. By November, Sean's seizures were lasting 31 minutes and there was one day that he had 36 short seizures. We found him a med that stopped the seizures and controls the TS. Fast forward to May of this year. We were sitting outside by my parents decorative river rock. The conversation turned to this summer and what our plans were. I was casually looking at the rocks when Sean said, "we're going to be out fossil hunting a lot this year, I promise." I told him how worried I was and he said, "don't worry, we're going to find awesome fossils this year babe!" Right as he said it, my hand slid over a bumpy, funny feeling rock. I picked it up and it was this little brachiopod. I just stared at it, Sean stared at it and we both laughed. Sean says that the brach is a sign of our summer this year!

Edit: thanks Wrangellian for correctly IDing this as a brach! :)

Thanks for reading my story. Does anyone else have a cool fossil story like this? I'd love to hear it if you do :)

post-12942-0-76758800-1403240391_thumb.jpeg

Edited by AndreaRhett19

6 Perfect Cats - ☆ Rhett Butler & Duramax Diesel, twin long-haired Siamese ☆ ♡ Scarlett O'Hara and Gemma Teller-Morrow, twin girls ♡ ♥ Tinkerbell Marie, crabby old girl ♥ ★ Oliver Harold, the court jester ★

the most amazing US Army Veteran Husband/Designated Rock Carrier - Sean ♥ (eloped on 04/07/2015)

A rock collection comprising of about 6,500 rocks; a mineral collection of about 500, and roughly 300 fossils.

The Best Is Yet To Come

I knew it! Bivalves and brachs get me every single time. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't know why I have such an issue with them, they're not that hard to tell apart usually. Jeepers. Is there a way to change the title?

Edited by AndreaRhett19

6 Perfect Cats - ☆ Rhett Butler & Duramax Diesel, twin long-haired Siamese ☆ ♡ Scarlett O'Hara and Gemma Teller-Morrow, twin girls ♡ ♥ Tinkerbell Marie, crabby old girl ♥ ★ Oliver Harold, the court jester ★

the most amazing US Army Veteran Husband/Designated Rock Carrier - Sean ♥ (eloped on 04/07/2015)

A rock collection comprising of about 6,500 rocks; a mineral collection of about 500, and roughly 300 fossils.

The Best Is Yet To Come

Great story! Here is a link to my "Waldo" story (enrolled trilobite): http://www.bluffcountryfossils.net/blog/4th-of-july-fossil-hunt-whahoo-check-out-this-roller/

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Great story! Thanks for sharing. And thank him for me for his services and sacrifices please. Im glad he's doing better.

If you guys ever want to take a mini road trip south we can hit Mazon Creek for some nodules. My girlfriend and i will be there next weekend on Saturday the 28th.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Dang, those cysts sound nasty. Is this some kind of parasite? There are a lot of things one can get exposed to in Iraq, most people have heard of the "Baghdad boil" (cuticular leishmaniasis), but there are other things too. Sometimes parasites that normally infect the gut can get into the brain, with bad consequences, Ascaris is an example. I hope there is a parasitologist on Sean's medical team.

Don

You all are amazing! I love this forum :)

Bev: thanks for the link! I'll check it out. Oh and I'm finally getting to my emails. I've been kind of one fish, two fish, purple, hey! Macarena! These past few days.

F6S: Let me check, but I think my niece has a soccer thing that day. Are you and your girl going in July at all? We would love to join you!

Squal: Thank you for the ID and info! It's so appreciated!

Don: I always thought this went back to Iraq and after reading your post, I did some digging. Everything I read sounds so much like Sean and I found so many soldiers with similar stories. He hasn't seen a parasitologist yet but he sees his doc in July and we're making a request. If they run around on us again, we're going outside. Sean wrote a poem about Iraq and in it he mentions being bitten by flies. I can't thank you enough for this info. They wanted to do an 8 hour experimental test on him "just to see". The parasite is a new route to check out and that's awesome. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The Best Is Yet To Come