Fossil Or Pseudofossil?

crystalditas

This fossil looks like a small skull with the jaw perhaps broken and shifted to the left. There are what appear to be nose holes(small) teeth and jaw line,but totally fossilized. Lots of what looks to be calcite and maybe limestone.

Any help would be appreciated. My grandmother has had this in her garden for years- she lives in north central Texas.

post-15883-0-24412100-1405358843_thumb.jpg

I'd like to upload more pics from different angles but am not exactly computer savvy enough I guess-lol! The first post wouldn't allow any more to be uploaded due to size and I have no option here to add, sorry.

No bones there; weathered limestone with calcite crystals, me thinks. The Edwards Plateau is made of the stuff. :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'd like to upload more pics from different angles but am not exactly computer savvy enough I guess-lol! The first post wouldn't allow any more to be uploaded due to size and I have no option here to add, sorry.

The "Reply to this topic" has a "More Reply Options" below it. Clique on that and you will get a reply screen that will allow you to add more pictures.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for showing us your Grandmother's find. I agree that it's not a fossil skull but if I saw it on the ground I would have certainly picked it up for a closer look because of the suggestive shape. Even if parts were broken and shifted it doesn't show the kind of symmetry you would expect from a skull. When you get those other photos up we'll look for clues to what it might be if there is a fossil in there. Something for scale helps us know the size.

Another welcome to the forum. I agree with the others that it is just a really suggestive rock. Pretty cool looking though.

Thanks for the input folks- as I try to figure out how to use the jpeg program properly I'll post pics one at a time to give a better view- just in case! Thanks for looking :)

post-15883-0-00213300-1405362125_thumb.jpg

post-15883-0-10824400-1405362137_thumb.jpg

post-15883-0-62360400-1405362173_thumb.jpg

post-15883-0-65210800-1405362198_thumb.jpg

post-15883-0-08343900-1405362243_thumb.jpg

post-15883-0-02481700-1405362301_thumb.jpg

post-15883-0-34848400-1405362322_thumb.jpg

If it is a fossil skull then the right side is more definitive and left side a little smashed up in comparison. If it's not- I think I'll keep it anyhow just because it's so unusual! Either way I appreciate your expertise and input on it.

Edited by crystalditas

Welcome to TFF...so many members here have helped me out tremendously. Stay curious and keep posting.

If it is a fossil skull then the right side is more definitive and left side a little smashed up in comparison. If it's not- I think I'll keep it anyhow just because it's so unusual! Either way I appreciate your expertise and input on it.

As the others have suggested, it is, unequivocally, Not a skull of any kind. :)

I agree with Auspex in that it looks like a calcite formation. To clean it, soak it in a tub of water for a few minutes. Then, you could submerge in a 20-25% muriatic acid to water solution. Exercise all necessary and recommended safety precautions (gloves, doing it outside, goggles, etc.) Submerge in clean water after about 15 to 20 seconds in the acid solution. Repeat as needed while monitoring the overall effects. You don't want the acid to dissolve the crystals you're trying to clean. :D

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ