Newbie Fossil Hunter

AFBoneGuy

Howdy all,

DB here. I'm a new (haven't actually done it yet) fossil hunter now living in Ogden, UT. Figured since I now live in one of the more abundant areas for prehistoric artifacts, I might as well take up a new hobby. Besides SCUBA diving is not really big here I'm gathering.

Been doing a lot of research and reading on the topic but I welcome any and all advice, particularly on taking my first trip. My youngest daughter is also interested so I am looking for a good place for her first time.

I look forward to enjoying this new hobby and learning more.

Best Wishes,

D

Welcome fellow Utahn!! If you really want to start this hobby off with a bang I recommend going to U-Dig Fossils of Delta, UT.

http://www.u-digfossils.com

That's where I started. I also highly recommend the book: A Collector's Guide to Rock, Mineral and Fossil Localities of Utah.

http://www.mapstore.utah.gov/mp95-4.html

Edited by Utahfossilhunter

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Welcome to the Forum!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome fellow Utahn!! If you really want to start this hobby off with a bang I recommend going to U-Dig Fossils of Delta, UT.

http://www.u-digfossils.com

That's where I started. I also highly recommend the book: A Collector's Guide to Rock, Mineral and Fossil Localities of Utah.

http://www.mapstore.utah.gov/mp95-4.html

Thanks for the info. I've never been the type of guy to go the tourist route and I'm kinda surprised by the cost to dig in their piles $70.00 a day. I would assume that entire region is great and that there are areas to go right near there that don't involve a fee and crowds. Is this correct ? Again, thanks for the tips. Book is being ordered!

DB

I'm an opportunist, I just look for erosion sites like road cuts, recent construction or natural erosion, and then surface pick. Just don't cross trespassing signs or fences lines. Throw a geo pick under the seat of your car and some paper bags and a pen. Then go out for a pleasant drive exploring back roads, and when you see the opportunity, pick away.

Thanks for the info. I've never been the type of guy to go the tourist route and I'm kinda surprised by the cost to dig in their piles $70.00 a day. I would assume that entire region is great and that there are areas to go right near there that don't involve a fee and crowds. Is this correct ? Again, thanks for the tips. Book is being ordered!

DB

The whole county is just full of fossils and minerals. U-Dig is on the expensive side but nowhere close to Wyoming Fish quarries' prices :). That book has the locations of hundreds of places in that area and the entire state.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?