Where's Your Carboniferous Plant Material From?

Plantguy

Bruno... Nice to see you back posting on the forum and very nice find...It looks very different preservation with the sandstone colour...

I managed a paddle about in the mud today and I found something unusual for this location... at first I thought a species of Alethopteris but I am not sure now that I have photographed the leaf's close up...

I would be grateful of any help with the ID's...

post-1630-0-05979000-1321808445_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-62161700-1321808471_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-62176400-1321808492_thumb.jpg

A small I think Palaeostachya paucibracteata?...

post-1630-0-82607400-1321808509_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-26367000-1321808526_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

img_6616.jpg

Hi Steve not an Alethopteris fern but a Pecopteris fern like this one ......2a

http://i40.servimg.c...73/img_6613.jpg

http://i40.servimg.c...73/img_6614.jpg

http://i40.servimg.c...73/img50110.jpg

Here is a Lobatopteris (pecopteris )miltoni Artis from Lievin aera

best regards

Bruno

Edited by docdutronc

Bruno.... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... Your specimens are very nice and all seem to have rounded tips to the leafs...This specimen has slightly pointed pinnules a little like 'Pecopteris plumosa'...

Bruno... Nice to see you back posting on the forum and very nice find...It looks very different preservation with the sandstone colour...

http://i20.servimg.com/u/f20/13/00/15/73/conser10.jpg

http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/13/00/15/73/img_6617.jpg

Yes Steve ,sometimes it looks very different preservation with sandstone colour ,here are Sigillaria ,Lepidophloios and lepidodendron bark .....

best regards

Bruno... Great specimens... Obviously they are not quite as sharp as your shale specimens being from a rock with a larger grain size but still a very nice representation of another layer in your area... Nice finds ;)

Bruno.... Quite detailed Lepidodendron...Nice find... I wish I had got more bark samples from the last exposure when I had the chance...

Hi Steve

"Quite detailed Lepidodendron"

Lepidodendron ? I am not sure ,this bark shows very similar caracters with Synchysidendron from Riolamine USA ...

best regards

Bruno

http://i60.servimg.c...73/48_rio10.jpg

Bruno... I have never heard of that bark... I presumed it was decorticated Lepidodendron :)

Nice new Sigillaria find ;)

Hi my friends

I have explained in a previous post :

Recent work of Professor DIMICHELE (1983/1985), of DIMICHELE and BATEMAN (1992) on many petrified specimens previously assigned to the genus Lepidodendron Sternberg let the authors to create new genus DIAPHORODENDRON and SYNCHYSIDENDRON from anatomical criteria essentially in structures preserved ,while recognizing that when the material is retained in compression, the distinction between types LEPIDODENDRON and DIAPHORODENDRON SYNCHYSIDENDRON becomes difficult.

DIMICHELE (1985 page 452) estimates that a sample should be reported to the genus Lepidodendron when the characters meet the following :

1/rapport height / width of leaf bases is greater than or equal to 1 (rarely less than 1).

2/leaf bases radially thick ,bearing a median keel less ( cauda ) strongly marked with transverse striations .

3/presence of parichnos infrafoliars.

-Among The french carboniferous samples in compression of the genus Synchysidendron , leaf bases are always higher than broad ,lack of parychnos infrafoliar .

The essential relationships between different types SYNCHYSIDENDRON and DIAPHORODENDRON are anatomical and focus on how growth occurs and when the reproductive systems begin to develop and can be highlighted on the material held in compression and often distorted.

-Several of my specimens show parichnos and thus correspond to such genus Lepidodendron, some have little relief, parichnos are absent and can be attributed to genus SYNCHYSIDENRON, but this is not a certainty, I hope I was clear in my explanation ....

Thanks Bruno, just to add a couple of words from the abstract of that article:

Synshysidendron is segregated from Diaphorodendron in that article. Both genera are determinate, rhizomorphic, arborescent, lycopsids that share identical reproductive organs but differ radically in grouth architecture and consecuently in the timing of reproduction. Cones in Synshysidendron are born on late-formed crown branches. In Diaphorodendron cones are born on deciduous lateral branches, produced over much of the life of the tree.

Is that the same species or just much decorticated Lepidodendron?

post-814-0-02278700-1322590326_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK

097-le10.jpg

Hi my friends

And also similar to this one ,Collection from my friend : Jean Philippe Dud. , perhaps a Synchysidendron or a partial decorticated Lepidodendron bark ???

Bruno

Edited by docdutronc

Bruno, Steve, Roman!

One more thanks for this wonderful and educative topic ;)

I always admire your high quality finds, dialogs and infos :wub:

The only I could add is that this synchysidendron rather fairly confuses, as I conclude from their greek name meaning ''confusing tree'' :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Steve, look at the my last modified post, do you think that specimen is the same species as Bruno's one?

Roman... Proportionally I think your specimen looks identical to Bruno's... although your specimen is showing a lot more preserved detail... I think there's a LOT of crossover with ever so slight variations in the ID of carb plant material as we attempt to name and classify every fossil that we find...where infact a lot of it could literally be due to factors such as variations/fluctuations in growing conditions... as we have discussed before...

Roman... Proportionally I think your specimen looks identical to Bruno's... although your specimen is showing a lot more preserved detail... I think there's a LOT of crossover with ever so slight variations in the ID of carb plant material as we attempt to name and classify every fossil that we find...where infact a lot of it could literally be due to factors such as variations/fluctuations in growing conditions... as we have discussed before...

Steve I agree with your statement.

Roman.... They look unusual and all slightly different but I see what you mean about the shield covering the leaf scar...Nice, I have not found this on mine.

Roman.... They look unusual and all slightly different but I see what you mean about the shield covering the leaf scar...Nice, I have not found this on mine.

Thank you Steve, yes, all of them have an obvious "lower" keel but you can't see the leaf scars and "upper" keel at all for some reasons.

t1a_nr10.jpg

Hi Steve and Roman

here is a Lepidodendron bark (counter part) the leaf cushion show partial decortication ,like small shield covering the leaf scar ,it is very similar !!!!

Best regards

Bruno

Hi Steve and Roman

here is a Lepidodendron bark (counter part) the leaf cushion show partial decortication ,like small shield covering the leaf scar ,it is very similar !!!!

Best regards

Bruno

Hi Bruno, thank you. Do you think that shield is a result of plant cortex delelopment or just decortication effect?

Edited by RomanK