Please Help A New Guy Confirm And Otherwise Id

Zeek Martin

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who has made identifying fossils so easy for those of us who are new to this hobby...

I'm a budding geologist (just a freshman!), so my interests lie in both the fossils and the rocks I find them in...

I've spent a good amount of time reading every id post in the forum and consulting my fossil field books (thanks for the PDF

links, guys!)..

I believe I've got the identifications correct, but I sure would like a second opinion. There's also a couple that I have, as of yet,

been unable to pin down.

I apologize for any image issues - many were taken through a 3x loupe in lieu of a macro lens!

The region is mostly Early Mississippian or Late Devonian...Pitkin Limestone, Fayetteville Shale and Batesville Sandstone are what

I've managed to deduce from the USGS maps.

2suJT.jpg Bryozoan or Coelentrata?

OS2jR.jpg Bryozoan or Coelentrata? (2nd shot)

CBBI1h.jpg Lacy Bryozoan?

LyDT0.jpg Hash Plate with crinoids

kry32.jpg Unknown - pseudo fossil? Whatever it is, I love it!

And last, just a quick few shots of a fossil in sandstone (I believe) with what appears to be a concretation (iron?) but I could be way off:

DLma0.jpgHard to photograph - this is the best shot I've been able to get so far, but the concretation is what's bugging me:

VcvML.jpgConcretation?

WEUCf.jpgConcretation at another angle.

Thanks in advance, sorry to spam, and sorry if this message is poorly formatted!

Welcome to the Forum, Zeek. We have members here that love to ID things like you've found.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The pseudofossil, is indeed, a ichnofossil.

Well, looks like weather worn Cruziana. If it is, it would be tracks of a trilo or a trilo-like animal.

to me it seems like you've done an excellent job of figuring out most of them. i'll let the guys familiar with the stuff from your area do the verifications, but welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input and the welcomes! You guys are great!

I must admit...I had a glimmer of hope that the ichnofossil (thanks for the new term!) I found was indeed a trilobite track, but I know

that hoping and knowing are two completely different things!

Thanks for making my night!

Ya'll rock! Thanks again!

Wow! Thanks for the further info!

Looks like I better set aside a few hours to read up on this! Thanks!

First one is a coral unless you have magnified it immensely. The little openings in bryozoans are always really small, much less than a millimeter. The third pick is the impression where a lace (fenestrate) bryozoan was.

First one is a coral unless you have magnified it immensely. The little openings in bryozoans are always really small, much less than a millimeter. The third pick is the impression where a lace (fenestrate) bryozoan was.

Those are taken in macro mode through a 3x loupe (ghetto setup, I admit, but I'll have a good working camera sooner or later!)

Thanks for the info!

• 1 year later...

I am also collecting in the Pitkin limestone, but in Madison Co., and have just started learning about these fossils. Looking forward to seeing more pics from my area.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what nobody has thought.

Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Wow, welcome to the forum! Nice fossils, the Cruzania(?) specimen is beautiful! Id. looks spot on to me.

Edited by Teres

Those are taken in macro mode through a 3x loupe (ghetto setup, I admit, but I'll have a good working camera sooner or later!)

Thanks for the info!

:) Something to keep in mind is that the responses today are to a topic over a year old and 'Zeek Martin' hasn't visited the Forum since Aug. 2010. :(

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ