Highland Mills, Ny Fossils

pmacon

I thought I'd post some of the pictures from a trip this past Sunday (September 5th) to Highland Mills, NY. I had researched Highland Mills on several web sites, including the USGS site link at: http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov/nyc/parks/loc30.htm

We found several fossil shells, possibly a coral/sponge, and what seem to be fern/seaweed.

The directions were easy (as described in the USGS link above). The site is located north of Woodbury Commons shopping mall on Rt 32 in Harriman, NY (Interstate 87 exit 16). Directions to Woodbury Commons are found here: http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp?id=7

From the shopping mall follow Route 32 North into Highland Mills and turn right onto Park Avenue, and drive .3 mile to a sharp right turn. At the turn there is a gravel turnoff and parking area at the abandoned location of the Highland Mills train station (now only an power substation remains). From the parking area walk north along the railroad tracks for about 500 feet and you'll see several outcroppings. At least for this year one of the fossil outcroppings has a fading graffiti peace sign spray painted on it.

Picture 100_3717 shows what I think is a fossil fern/seaweed? imprint. There were many such imprints in the outcrop area with the faded peace sign. Picture 100_3709_lowres shows one of the fossil shell collecting areas farther north along the tracks.

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL while examining these exposures, in that high speed trains approach almost quietly without warning. The trains sound is masked by noise from the Thruway nearby. The walk to the collecting areas is low impact, and easily accomplished, but with the trains passing by this may not be a good trip for young collectors.

post-4012-086921000 1283792811_thumb.jpg

post-4012-034290700 1283793043_thumb.jpg

Hello pmacon,

I think the fern/seaweed looking thing may actually be Graptolites. Knowledge of the age/name of the formation you were hunting in might help us to narrow down what it is.

Thanks for sharing the great detailed report!

Regards,

A quick Google image search for graptolites produced this:

post-2806-082693500 1283820804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

i believe it's from the Middle Devonian Esopus Formation, as the outcropping location matches that described as across from the substation in the USGS survey report above. Here is a picture of the location (with faded peace symbol graffiti).

post-4012-086316300 1283822419_thumb.jpg

Pmacon,

Been trying to find a match online - no luck as yet.:unsure:

What is the size of your specimen?

The other possibility I can think of is Plumalina plumeria?

See here: Plumalina

Check out the link and see what you think.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I'll keep looking, though.:blush:

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

That is one weird looking thing in the rock. Maybe a trace fossil from feeding? What is the scale?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The size of the 'fern' is roughly 18"x18", it's actually on a large rock that I only took a picture of. I did collect smaller samples in the area. There were many samples like the picture in the outcropping.

Pmacon,

Okay,... last try - Zoophycos?!?:blink:

Kinda similar... Google it and see what you think. I was starting to lean in the direction Dave(Shamalama) pointed out.:unsure:

That's all I've got. Sorry. :blush::D

Regards,

Hmmm... likely not Zoophycos. That has swirly patterns to it and a spiral 3-d structure while this is more linear. I'm thinking Chondrites:

German Wikipedia entry

A nice page from Emory Univeristy in the UK If you click the link at the bottom of the page, it takes you up a level to some other examples of Trace fossils with some really fascinating (and specific) examples.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

pmacon,

I was at the Highland Mills site this past Monday on the 6th and also saw what you described - I collected a few samples and took some pictures, will try to get them up later. I spent the weekend camping out near Accord, NY and did some fossil hunting near Rondout creek as well as in Highfalls NY along Rt. 213 and Rosendale, NY before the town on 213 and and also at the junction of Rt. 213 and Rt. 32 - found Brachiopods, Crinoids, and some coral I think. I'm pretty new to hunting but so far loving it!

- Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I usually camp at rondout resort near accord , there is definetely a variety of brachiopods and coral there. I even found my first trilobyte not far from rt 209 near accord. The picture is up in another thread though.

-jon

• 3 weeks later...

Pmacon,

Okay,... last try - Zoophycos?!?:blink:

Kinda similar... Google it and see what you think. I was starting to lean in the direction Dave(Shamalama) pointed out.:unsure:

That's all I've got. Sorry. :blush::D

Regards,

You hit the nail right on the head.....It's ZOOPHYCUS, a feeding trace fossil of a worm-like animal. Years ago it was thought to be an impression of seaweed and was called TAONURUS CAUDAGALLI. I've been to Highland Mills many times and live close by. By the way, the Esopus Formation is Early Devonian.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

You hit the nail right on the head.....It's ZOOPHYCUS, a feeding trace fossil of a worm-like animal. Years ago it was thought to be an impression of seaweed and was called TAONURUS CAUDAGALLI. I've been to Highland Mills many times and live close by. By the way, the Esopus Formation is Early Devonian.

Tom

Here's a link to the pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/102873949153948180953/HIGHLANDMILLSRRCUT02#

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

• 2 months later...

Mike, any pics from your trip to Highland Mills? I'm curious as to what you saw along that part of the outcropping.

Sorry for the delay, here's a few links to some photo galleries where I have a few fossil pictures in them:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2078243&id=32102562&l=2b326d9208

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2073906&id=32102562&l=08e2c68b4a

I have more but they're buried on the hd somewhere :/

I noticed bivalves(am I correct on this?) as well as "twig" like imprints on some broken pieces of matrix near the train crossing from the parking area. Also found a lot of iron spikes too, they make for good improvised punches and chisels :)

- Mike

• 1 month later...

Mike, any pics from your trip to Highland Mills? I'm curious as to what you saw along that part of the outcropping.

Ah, just took another trip there today and found a few more interesting fossils which you can see here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.589199048542.2092488.32102562&l=1425896fc8

And found this, not too sure what it might be but looks like a snail or maybe ammonite?

22979058920175811232102.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's a gastropod (snail). About the only one found there is Plastyceras (Playtyostoma) sp. [ = Diaphorostoma fisher 1885 ].

Here's a picture of one of mine from the same location.

Tom

Ah, just took another trip there today and found a few more interesting fossils which you can see here:

http://www.facebook....62&l=1425896fc8

And found this, not too sure what it might be but looks like a snail or maybe ammonite?

22979058920175811232102.jpg

post-4534-0-20438800-1303815890_thumb.jpg

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

I'm pretty sure that's a gastropod (snail). About the only one found there is Plastyceras (Playtyostoma) sp. [ = Diaphorostoma fisher 1885 ].

Here's a picture of one of mine from the same location.

Tom

Nice find Tom! Thanks for the info too :)