Igneous Fossils

bdevey

I posted these links in another thread, but I thought I'd post here so everyone can see. The 15 million year old rhino in basalt lava is surprising. The Hawaii link is jest as cool as I've seen some cast like that around here. Do take a look it may change your mind about lava and fossils.

link

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9409

Edited by bdevey

I once saw a lycopod in a basalt flow. It was very clearly defined; I'll try to post photos if I get the chance.

2 stage process... fossilization in sedimentary rock ... followed by magma flow resulting in composite igneous /sedimentary matrix....

Edited by pleecan

In May 2007 issue of Scientific American, there was an article about South American mammal fossils found in ash flows - A place where most people wouldn't look.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

In May 2007 issue of Scientific American, there was an article about South American mammal fossils found in ash flows - A place where most people wouldn't look.

:o Too bad for them .They should see Ashfall out west.Impressive. B)

Bear-dog.

Guest N.AL.hunter

To me, volcanic ash, while technically an igneous "rock", is a sediment, just like sand suspended in air during a dust storm smothering animals (Mongolian Desert dinos as an exapmle). So anything buried by ash is buried in sediments (most of the famous western USA fossil localities are ash formed). No difference. Now actual lava flow is different. The trees in Hawaii that get surrounded and catch on fire leave behind the hollow "fossils" of their existance. So yep, those are fossils in igneous rocks.

To me, volcanic ash, while technically an igneous "rock", is a sediment, just like sand suspended in air during a dust storm smothering animals (Mongolian Desert dinos as an exapmle). So anything buried by ash is buried in sediments (most of the famous western USA fossil localities are ash formed). No difference. Now actual lava flow is different. The trees in Hawaii that get surrounded and catch on fire leave behind the hollow "fossils" of their existance. So yep, those are fossils in igneous rocks.

I'll agree with your post. But If I was running from 400 degree ash and pumice fall, I won't be thinking Sediment!!, I'll use some other words :o . I did some reading and your correct. Even when digging up Pompeii, buried by 500 degree ash and pumice, they called it sediments. And I can't think of a better example.

I suppose whether its from a pyroclastic flow, ash fall, lahar, landslide, sand storm, flood, tsunami, or meteorite impact fallout....its sedimentary. Sediments are scary :blush: .

2 stage process... fossilization in sedimentary rock ... followed by magma flow resulting in composite igneous /sedimentary matrix....

There was no fossilization before the magma flow.

quote..."The researchers proposed that the mold formed following the death of the rhinoceros. Its bloated, upside-down body floated in a shallow lake, when molten rock flowed into the water"

Its a body mold, that bones were found in.

What a neat find, I wonder how many people, walked on by and didn't know what they were looking at?

Great post Bob !! What a fantastic fossil and such a bizarre set of circumstances allowing that to occur. :blink:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png