Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Newberry'.
Found 3 results
I have several pieces similar to this from a drift hill near Newberry, UP, Michigan. I have been told it is Collingswood?, and found very nice pseudogygites impressions there, none whole however, just adding that for the location. At any rate, I have been trying to figure out what these orthocones are. I have several layered from various rocks which are quite small...little cone shaped impressions from 1/2 " to these. all of them are flattened, with that distinctive crush mark down the middle, where the oval part collapsed. My reason for this post, other than still being curious as to what these creatures were, is how do I preserve them...most often I have both top and bottom impressions, filled with the flattened material of the creature between them...much like a flattened trilobite. But as they dry, the animal part is beginning to flake off...is there something I can do to preserve them, other than slathering them with some kind of glue...I have used butvar b76 on some of the bones I've collected, but these seem too fragile for that kind of application. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (1 is the rock with layers cracked, 3 is the image from the third layer, 2 is the image from the second layer, each of these layers have orthocone images in them, ranging from about 6" down to 1.)
I just got finished working on this PDF file. It's a PDF of "The Paleozoic Fishes of North America" by John Strong Newberry from 1889. It is in two parts; text and plates. There are some versions on the Internet but none are really in complete or presentable form. One "good" version is missing a lot of the picture plates because the compilers chose to export as one small page size and so picture plates are chopped in half or totally missing. Another web version is just raw scans of the pages with no color filtering meaning the pages are all dark orange and low contrast. My version combines the relative clean text of one version with color corrected plates of the other version. I also took the time to manually crop and reframe all the pages so it prints comfortably on regular 8x11 paper. The originals had the text hugging the left margin (not good for putting in a binder) and the paper was too tall. While I did do an OCR scan I have not manually checked the text which would take days and days given all the scientific words not in the dictionary. The other drawback is the scale on the pictures is kinda useless since some of the plates were originally twice as big (foldouts) as what they are here. I figure anyone using this for an ID will go to the picture plates and the index anyways. Right-click and "save as / save link as" to avoid loading these large PDFs into the browser. Enjoy http://www.northtexasfossils.com/pdfs/PaleozoicFishes-text.pdf (11 meg) http://www.northtexasfossils.com/pdfs/PaleozoicFishes-plates.pdf (30 meg)
While browsing the Dinosaur Mailing List, I came upon a news article regarding Dystrophaeus: http://fox13now.com/2014/08/28/skeleton-of-dinosaur-first-unearthed-155-years-ago-now-being-excavated/ With respect to the discovery of Dystrophaeus in 1859, it is noteworthy that the discoverer, John Newberry, couldn't excavate the whole skeleton of this species because of the difficult terrain, but at least was able to recover some bones, all from the forelimb and scapular regions, and loan them to the Natural History Museum of the Smithsonian in Washington DC. Now the Dystrophaeus Project crew has continued where Newberry left off, and we're hoping they have unearthed all parts of the Dystrophaeus skeleton so that they can be shipped to the Natural History Museum and united with the holotype specimen of Dystrophaeus. Although the excavations are ongoing, you can find images at the following links: https://www.facebook.com/Dystrophaeus http://dystrophaeus.blogspot.com/