KYANA Geological Society Annual Mineral, Gem, and Fossil Show

FossilNerd

The KYANA Geological Society is hosting their annual mineral, gem, and fossil show next weekend (Nov. 22-24). I attended last year and it is a small, but fun event. I’m not sure which day I will be there, but I plan to take the family. Just passing along the information in case anyone is in the Louisville area and would like to attend. If you can’t make it, don’t worry, I will come back with a full trip report. :) 

http://www.kyanageo.org/showflier.htm

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

21 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

The KYANA Geological Society is hosting their annual mineral, gem, and fossil show next weekend (Nov. 22-24). I attended last year and it is a small, but fun event. I’m not sure which day I will be there, but I plan to take the family. Just passing along the information in case anyone is in the Louisville area and would like to attend. If you can’t make it, don’t worry, I will come back with a full trip report. :) 

http://www.kyanageo.org/showflier.htm

Nice- and we expect some nice pictures of the show and of the fossils that are for sale- thanks for posting and have fun.

Wayne,

You should post this in the Calendar section.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice- and we expect some nice pictures of the show and of the fossils that are for sale- thanks for posting and have fun.

I don’t know if I’ll have the quality or quantity of pictures that you do, but I’ll do my best! :) 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

55 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wayne,

You should post this in the Calendar section.  ;) 

Thanks for the suggestion Tim! I added it. :) 

I know it’s bad, but I didn’t realize we had a calendar section. I probably skimmed over it who knows how many times, but never paid any attention to it. :DOH:

Looks like I’ll be able to attend the show on Sunday. If any other TFF member will be there, let me know. I’d love to meet up!

I visited the show on Sunday with the family. We had a great time! 

Here are a few fossil pictures that I was able to get. I wanted to take more, but chasing around an excited 4 year old who wanted to pick up everything took priority. ;) 

A sampling of ammonites and nautiloids from various vendors. I especially like the ones labeled Douvilleiceras mammillatum.
D3656F64-7C5B-40ED-8B73-1B2B8BA71BC6.thumb.jpeg.23886b2818b651f93878b5e121d46d16.jpeg

ammonite.thumb.JPG.58303c3613fa5f34366ed7334039c17f.JPG

723409B1-1973-4FA6-8F8A-7F9FD9C32ECA.thumb.jpeg.8465aa7fb72f6261b6e1c9a98b0686be.jpeg

39005427-0ED3-496F-B699-7CD4BCAF14CC.thumb.jpeg.ac641c002d06dacd85b3ca2edd8027cd.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

There were some beautiful crinoids available, but sadly were out of my price range. 

crinoid.thumb.JPG.54417acc00c79dc3dc714ff96af59b12.JPG

86909288-463B-4D89-8135-FCD4AB163B55.thumb.jpeg.aa29619ba7c29bba99ae6fbe4ab262b5.jpeg

Blastoids.

A5387890-824E-4375-B093-D5FE1F7A1605.thumb.jpeg.37485e45226b948522e091e55dfb2991.jpeg

Trilobites. Most of what I saw were decent quality, or at least real even if lower quality, but as usual, some are better than others. 
trilobites.thumb.JPG.331b0ae094656edd4ef811d9d57ca914.JPG

Typical Moroccan items were available as well. The amount of “mosasaur jaws” were drastically reduced from last year’s show.

morocco.thumb.JPG.2e1bf929b711af38fefb6ad2de043fef.JPG

Don’t worry all you vertebrate guys (and gals) there were a few available...

Oreodont (Mesohippus.) This one is for @Randyw. ;) 

A6D8E6BE-B00B-49B0-9FCB-9B346571473F.thumb.jpeg.3843d3914b8e1a2c25c16dc8bbf2c25a.jpeg

Fish from the Green River Formation. 

F02D0ADD-8BEF-4570-BC27-05F874C8F6A2.thumb.jpeg.41c9c01dca8e814e538a18cea1e8d1f8.jpeg

I really liked this one. 

fish.thumb.JPG.114f910b5f3b919aab822065e61ac83b.JPG

Mammoth and Mastodon teeth. The center tooth is Mammoth. The one on the left is a cut and polished piece of Mammoth, the one peeking through the right of the picture is Mastodon.
mammoth.thumb.JPG.f8df906b18acf806408b087021e3d23b.JPG

These were labeled as Male Cave Bear Teeth. I’m not sure if it can be proven that they were male, but I’m no tooth expert.

B5394EA3-1DF6-483F-9829-5D3EB3CD4109.thumb.jpeg.5ea7fe1f412557bcab3a33ca0a71848a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Thanks for the pictures- I really like the Blastoids from Indonesia. Did you buy anything?

I was able to purchase a fern/plant material plate from St. Claire Pennsylvania. It’s about 5x7 inches. I liked the looks of if and it’s my first plant fossil that’s not petrified wood so I’m super happy. Plus it was in my budget so my wife was happy. ;) 

Labeled as Alethopteris sp.
purchase.thumb.JPG.8b4838e63b994275582a9d5fdf66aed7.JPG

I also purchased a handful of other fossils from a mineral vendors dollar box. They mainly dealt in minerals and were just wanting to get rid of them. No provided info for them. My son confiscated most, but I was able to get a large solitary rugose coral and a few brachiopods. I think the coral is a Heliophyllum, but I need to confirm that. I’ll try to get pictures of those and post them later.

The surprising fossil of the show, for me at least, was this plate of foot prints. I wasn’t expecting anything like it. 

footprints.JPG.2c1521e62971cca6f7cba1e99abe6378.JPG

There were also some nice specimens of polished petrified wood, Mazon creek concretions, and others that I wasn’t able to get pictures of. I knew my son would enjoy the show, but I didn’t realize he would be so excited. I think I spent more time chasing him and answering his “What fossil is this?” questions than anything. It’s all good though. He made the show that much more enjoyable. :) 

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Btw- that is not an Oreodont, it looks more like the horse Mesohippus, was it ID’d that way?

I'm pretty sure it was labeled as one, and the reason I took the picture, but the label is under the skull so I can't be sure. I changed my post to reflect that it may not be. Thanks for the catch!

Sorry all that some of the pictures are rotated the wrong way... I usually upload picture posts from my laptop, but decided to do it from the phone to save a bit of time. The pictures are not orientated that way on the phone, but were flipped when uploading. I'm going back and editing the posts now. 

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

@FossilNerd you might try blurring out the vendor names when editing, too.  ;)

Some of the tags do have the vendor name in them don't they!? Dang it! That's what I get for trying to do this from my phone. I'm on it! To the laptop!!!  :DOH:

@JohnJ

I did a quick and dirty edit. I think that I have all the vendor names blacked out now and the pics rotated right. Sorry about that and thanks for the catch!

It is a messohippus! Wich is even better! I’ve got a partial one but I’d love to prep out a whole skull one day! The question is did they price it as messohippus or Oreodont?

thanks for the pictures @FossilNerd!

1 minute ago, Randyw said:

It is a messohippus! Wich is even better! I’ve got a partial one but I’d love to prep out a whole skull one day! The question is did they price it as messohippus or Oreodont?

thanks for the pictures @FossilNerd!

Honestly Randy I’m not entirely sure. It was at one of the first booths I came to and caught my attention. I’m almost positive it was labeled as Oreodont, but I can’t be 100% certain as I was distracted by the oohs and aahs (and fast hands) of my son. The label is under the skull and not in the pic so I can’t confirm. I took the pic and moved on. I don’t think I even checked out the price, and some of the vendors didn’t have prices labeled. Especially on their more expensive items. 

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

@JohnJ

I did a quick and dirty edit. I think that I have all the vendor names blacked out now and the pics rotated right. Sorry about that and thanks for the catch!

No worries...thanks for the photos! :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the pictures, I like the Crinoids. Too easy to load up $$$ to a piece of plastic. As for shows, do most have a committee that checks displays for fakes, undisclosed repairs etc. ? I've known large antique shows that will check vendors, but not many know everything.  

Thanks for sharing, great photos! And sounds like a really fun trip, I love when my boys are engaged in whatever we're doing. Makes it a lot of fun.

I have had the same issues with posting photos from my iPhone on here. They were oriented correctly on my laptop but when I posted them, they turned. I discovered that if I opened the photo on my laptop, rotated it one turn, saved it, opened it back up, rotated it back, and saved it again, then it would no longer have that issue. A little bit of a pain, but now if I'm posting 5 photos I just go through them one by one with that procedure and then the post will turn out fine.