Jackson g

Today I was pretty stressed out, but it was also my day off work so I figured what better to do than go out for a hike. Usually around this time of the year Truman Lake's water level drops, and more spots are accessible to hunt for treasures or to journey and site see. I wasn't looking for fossils but instead I was looking for fishing lures, (You'd be amazed how many you can find when the water drops) but I always keep an eye out for fossils as well. I ended up finding a nice little exposure that is usually underwater, and boy it was worth the search. It was about a hour and a half walk to where the exposure was from my car, and I didnt have long to search before the sun set. I probably had a good 40 minutes of sunlight to search and came up with a lot. So much infact, I still have a lot of cleaning to do! Some of the solitary and colonial rugose corals are geodized, or have lovely crystal lining on the inside. I didnt get to take many pictures which I regret, and my few pictures don't do the lovely crystalized coral justice. I suppose I'll share a final photo when I get everything cleaned up.20191117_195820.thumb.jpg.927593e8bf4b3dfdba35c77398f4a3fc.jpg

20191118_035555.jpg

20191118_035249.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Awesome! That would have made my day too.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 11/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, JamieLynn said:

is this in Missouri? Those corals are amazing.

Thanks! And yes here from the great state of Missouri. I rarely find this many at one location.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:55 AM, caldigger said:

You must have had a wagon with you!

JACKPOT!!!!

No wagon available that day. The trusty backpack did the job, and it certainly couldn't fit anymore between all the coral and trash I picked up on the hike!

So it will take some time to get all of them cleaned up, at least a lot more than I thought. Heres some nice cleaned up examples of the solitary and colonial crystal lined rugose corals. I still think my camera doesn't do it justice, but they all sparkle nicely in the sun to my eye. It sure is fun cleaning and seeing them go from a dirty old chunk of rock to a shining treasure.

20191119_093328.jpg

20191119_093316.jpg

On 11/18/2019 at 8:57 AM, KCMOfossil said:

Very nice!  Makes me want to get down to Truman Lake sometime.

Russ

Come on down I'll point ya in the right direction!

I went back again today to see if I could find some more nice examples of coral. Today was also a success with way more than I needed. I'm pretty glad to have found some bigger examples this time. I had so much coral i hesitantly thought it would be a cool idea to run a group at work and let the kids clean and keep some, and at the same time teach them a thing or two about it. It worked out really well, with them all liking it. Also a great use for all the extra.

20191124_154009.jpg

20191124_154228.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Some of those corals look partially silicified which would account for the sparkly view. Very nice! What is the age of the rock that you are finding these fossils in?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 11/25/2019 at 6:47 AM, Shamalama said:

Some of those corals look partially silicified which would account for the sparkly view. Very nice! What is the age of the rock that you are finding these fossils in?

Mississippian in age, with it coming from Keokuk- Burlington limestones. And yes, many are very lovely after some cleaning. I tried to take some cleaner pictures again. I'll post some updates as they get cleaned!

20191125_195414.jpg

20191124_220259.jpg

20191125_214048.jpg

20191126_010815.jpg

20191126_230644.jpg