My very last split shift

Ludwigia

On 11/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, Ludwigia said:

Monday was the last time that I did a split shift before I'm headed off to full retirement at the end of the year, so as usual, I took advantage of the hours in between and headed off to the Kimmeridgian site in the ditch in the upper Danube Valley. Found a few nice things again this time. Well, winter is closing in, so I probably won't be back there again until the springtime now, but it won't be going away, since I seem to be the only collector that's interested in it. Lots of sponge amongst those ammos this time.

16a.jpg.debf24b3496c80f476456e7189187283.jpg

17a.jpg.e74658b48f18211e5cee22920b689b9a.jpg

A1506a.thumb.jpg.340ea8777a005cb8e66b47bf2fb7a7ea.jpg

A1507c.thumb.jpg.746cbc494a6bb43d493a54958a8983f3.jpg

A1508b.jpg.9686f4f699e5ae3809958cccf5fa9df3.jpg

These are really beautiful!

I really love these ammonites. It would be super interesting to learn more about them 

1 hour ago, Paleonique said:

These are really beautiful!

I really love these ammonites. It would be super interesting to learn more about them 

Stratigraphy: hypselocylum zone, Early Kimmeridgian, Late Jurassic, Lochen Formation sponge facies.

Photo 1: Bottom left: Lingulaticeras sp. The other 3 are various species of Ataxioceras.

Photo 2: Left: Streblites tenuilobatus. Right: Ataxioceras sp.

Photo3: Vineta laevigyrata (4.5cm.)

Photo 4: Top: Ataxioceras hypselocylum. (3cm.) Bottom: probably Rasenia sp.

Photo 6: Eurasenia trimera (2cm.)

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Great finds and prep as usual, since you’re heading for more free time i guess there will be more time for finds/trips and prep....i could live with that certainly in Southern Germany.......

8 hours ago, Everhardus said:

Great finds and prep as usual, since you’re heading for more free time i guess there will be more time for finds/trips and prep....i could live with that certainly in Southern Germany.......

You could very well be right. I just have to sit out the winter now and maybe I'll also be venturing farther afield afterwards :)

Hiya Roger! Grats on the pending retirement! Cant imagine what you could do with all that free time! :P

An interesting bunch of finds, Love seeing sponges from different areas and times!

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Roger, great to see some more ammos. So what is this little columnar feature...do you have occasional crinoids or other echinoderms in that stuff as well? I dont know that I've seen you show those before but my memory definitely aint what it used to be...Pre congrats on both upcoming bday and retirement! I'm envious. 

Rogers.jpg.c58f77191f4d4304519f6a118c2d0cf7.jpg

Thanks for the photos of the latest! Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 6:32 AM, Plantguy said:

Hey Roger, great to see some more ammos. So what is this little columnar feature...do you have occasional crinoids or other echinoderms in that stuff as well? I dont know that I've seen you show those before but my memory definitely aint what it used to be...Pre congrats on both upcoming bday and retirement! I'm envious. 

Rogers.jpg.c58f77191f4d4304519f6a118c2d0cf7.jpg

Thanks for the photos of the latest! Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

Hi Chris,

Sorry to be so late at responding, but I only just discovered your post. I'm not at all sure what this is. The inside of the "tube" appears to be hollow, which seems to exclude crinoid stalk, and like you've already noticed, I've never found one in these layers. Dunno what it might be. I'd actually forgotten about it until I saw your post. Any ideas?

congrats on your retirement Roger, more time to spend in the prepping room :yay-smiley-1:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2019 at 6:49 AM, Ludwigia said:

Hi Chris,

Sorry to be so late at responding, but I only just discovered your post. I'm not at all sure what this is. The inside of the "tube" appears to be hollow, which seems to exclude crinoid stalk, and like you've already noticed, I've never found one in these layers. Dunno what it might be. I'd actually forgotten about it until I saw your post. Any ideas?

Roger, I'm not sure...wierd shapes stick out in my brain when I look at photos and the wondering begins....does look crinoid like to me...I wonder if Tarquin has seen anything like it?  

@TqB

Regards, Chris 

4 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Roger, I'm not sure...wierd shapes stick out in my brain when I look at photos and the wondering begins....does look crinoid like to me...I wonder if Tarquin has seen anything like it?  

@TqB

Regards, Chris 

Chris & Roger @Ludwigia - interesting beast, my first guess is serpulid. It's reminiscent of the common Oxford Clay (mostly Callovian) Genicularia vertebralis.

5e3700b4a0b68_Screenshot2020-02-02at16_58_09.png.d94aaeb49de57a1d4035af414e0befaf.png

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

10 minutes ago, TqB said:

Chris & Roger - interesting beast, my first guess is serpulid. It's reminiscent of the common Oxford Clay (mostly Callovian) Genicularia vertebralis.

TqB thanks! 

Regards, Chris 

8 hours ago, TqB said:

Chris & Roger @Ludwigia - interesting beast, my first guess is serpulid. It's reminiscent of the common Oxford Clay (mostly Callovian) Genicularia vertebralis.

5e3700b4a0b68_Screenshot2020-02-02at16_58_09.png.d94aaeb49de57a1d4035af414e0befaf.png

Thanks Tarquin. I think you've nailed it down.