Miocene_Mason

Hello Everyone!

I found this tooth a while back at a Ypresian, Eocene site (Nanjemoy Formation, Woodstock Member.) It puzzled me for a while, I assumed it was a weird Otodus or something until someone IDed it as a Cretalamna at a local fossil club. Apparently they have their last gasps in Maryland’s Ypresian. However, I was then informed by some people familiar with the roughly contemporaneous London Clay that it looks more similar to Parotodus pavlovi. That species is not yet described from the formation, and despite reaching out to a few collectors who have collected this formation extensively, I cannot find anyone else with one. What say you all? 

Scale in CM

E85F114D-7FEA-41E2-8E19-DEA78E25DC40.jpeg

F0C1CE69-233A-48E3-A1CE-6B4D38651ECB.jpeg

6B0F8529-4326-41C3-B450-CDC2E46E8982.jpeg

810C6D6F-6795-40B5-BA74-9845CAD78B59.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

If I found that tooth in the NJ Cretaceous it would be Archaeolamna kopingensis (although it still looks different of course). Is it possible that the tooth could have gotten reworked out of a Cretaceous layer?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

2 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

If I found that tooth in the NJ Cretaceous it would be Archaeolamna kopingensis (although it still looks different of course). Is it possible that the tooth could have gotten reworked out of a Cretaceous layer?

Actually the crown looks more like Cretalamna and the root like Archaeolamna 

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Just now, The Jersey Devil said:

If I found that tooth in the NJ Cretaceous it would be Archaeolamna kopingensis. Is it possible that the tooth could have gotten reworked out of a Cretaceous layer?

Theoretically possible but it doesn’t look worn enough to be reworked, and I believe this formation overlays the Paleocene Aquia Formation at this spot.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Next to a late Oligocene Parotodus from SC

3D5A2E99-D333-46E7-B640-1DAA3EE20654.jpeg

F09D1A87-A657-4364-A5E6-4D3B9192C586.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Mason

I don’t know if this helps, but below are three Parotodus sp. teeth (24 mm, 25 mm and 20 mm) from the Eocene Ypresian from the C1 Couche of Khouribga Morocco to compare your tooth to.  Truthfully I don’t know what specific tooth features of these teeth support a Parotodus ID (cusplet size/shape ?).  However I received them from Pierre Zennaro (a true shark tooth collector/researcher legend from the Moroccan phosphate mines) so I have confidence in his ID.  I haven’t seen an Eocene Parotodus before from MD/VA or anywhere else in the US so I can’t post any pictures from the US.

I would recommend reaching out to Dr. David Ward for ID help for your tooth.

5df267363195e_Parotodussp24mmKhouribgaC1coucheMoroccoEoceneYpresian1.thumb.jpg.7d909b13f1e82a2f486d31631b4e33bb.jpg

5df267383ebf9_Parotodussp24mmKhouribgaC1coucheMoroccoEoceneYpresian1a.thumb.jpg.2ffc1a7b9ded6b7cc77d1662e443e1c8.jpg

5df2673c5b2d6_Parotodussp25mmKhouribgaC1coucheMoroccoEoceneYpresian2.thumb.jpg.8812cf9b7cdd178ff87a4367281b9afd.jpg

5df2673a2a24b_Parotodussp25mmKhouribgaC1coucheMoroccoEoceneYpresian2a.thumb.jpg.57fdbcd45ed1644f641b381f00b43bcb.jpg

5df267322edf8_Parotodussp20mmKhouribgaC1coucheMoroccoEoceneYpresian3.thumb.jpg.25a5a5c16bf1ea70d9a020ff37b2d198.jpg

5df267341a115_Parotodussp20mmKhouribgaC1coucheMoroccoEoceneYpresian3a.jpg.185a234027880537b97586b3466690b8.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

6 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Mason

I don’t know if this helps, but below are three Parotodus sp. teeth (24 mm, 25 mm and 20 mm) from the Eocene Ypresian from the C1 Couche of Khouribga Morocco to compare your tooth to.  Truthfully I don’t know what specific tooth features of these teeth support a Parotodus ID (cusplet size/shape ?).  However I received them from Pierre Zennaro (a true shark tooth collector/researcher legend from the Moroccan phosphate mines) so I have confidence in his ID.  I haven’t seen an Eocene Parotodus before from MD/VA or anywhere else in the US so I can’t post any pictures from the US.

I would recommend reaching out to Dr. David Ward for ID help for your tooth.

They very much do! Thanks for the comparative pictures. They seem pretty Otodus-like, except the labial side is perhaps a bit more protruding and the cusps are more rounded. The blades a bit compressed as well. The proposition that this is new from the area excites me. I’ll probably get it into the CMM collections in the hopes someday it can get described. I sent Dr. Ward a message a few days ago, to which he has yet to respond.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here is an earlier thread with considerable discussion of these early Parotodus on page two:

Thanks, I’ll give that a read!

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 12/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Theoretically possible but it doesn’t look worn enough to be reworked, and I believe this formation overlays the Paleocene Aquia Formation at this spot.

That tooth is very worn and could have been reworked.  In any case I think you have to side to the conservative and say it's most likely an Otodus rather than run with the hope that it's something that hasn't been found there before.