conglomerate rock with fossils?

Ramona

I am risking the possibility of a huge embarrassment here, but I am wondering about this large rock.  I at first assumed that it was a large chunk of concrete but then I started looking more closely.  It is located in a creek bed with no other concrete around it.  We have a massive amount of fossilifferous (sp?) limestone rocks in our yard, so I began reevaluating this one...  I am not able to climb down to look at it closely, so this photo will have to suffice.  Is this actually a chunk of concrete or is it a conglomerate rock with fossils in it?  If it is concrete I will put my tail between my legs and slink off into the far distance.  We live in Huntsville, AL. 
Thanks! 

Ramona

IMG_5621-16.jpg

Well, one thing is for sure that I don't see any fossils in there. I'm inclined to say a concretionary mass with rocks imbedded in it, but it's hard to say whether it's a sedimentary breccia or not. (Conglomerate has more rounded contituents, breccia more angular ones.)

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I don't see any fossils in there.

OK, so first, I agree with Roger that I too see no fossils. :shakehead:

2nd, there is no reason to feel embarrassed.  How do any of us learn without asking and making mistakes in our initial impressions along the way?  There is certainly no shame in that.  :SlapHands:

12 minutes ago, Ramona said:

I will put my tail between my legs and slink off into the far distance.  We live in Huntsville, AL. 

Third, where would the "far distance" from Huntsville be and would it even have ANY fossils? :unsure:

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like aggregate cement to me. :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

OK, so it looks like my original assumption WAS correct, then!  I have no idea how a large piece of concrete might have gotten into the woods behind our house, but there is much that I don't know. ;-) 

Thanks!!  

Ramona

Wait a minute!!!  We seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room.

Ramona has a tail!!!   :heartylaugh:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Wait a minute!!!  We seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room.

Ramona has a tail!!!   :heartylaugh:

Ohhhh, you got me there!!!  LOL  How funny!!

I agree with Tim. I've come across patches of old cement in odd places and who knows why it was put there - and you're not the first person on the Forum to be fooled by this sort of thing, so don't feel bad!

I mean, I've also seen natural conglomerates that look almost identical to concrete pavement, so it isn't necessarily man made.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I agree with Tim. I've come across patches of old cement in odd places and who knows why it was put there - and you're not the first person on the Forum to be fooled by this sort of thing, so don't feel bad!

Lots of construction "leftovers" got/ get thrown into river basins. Out of sight, out of mind.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

@Ramona, its a difficult decision based on this one pic alone. As already mentioned, it could be (poorly made) concrete, or it could be a natural breccia of some sort. It would be necessary to examine a fresh break in detail.

Considering fossils, I can not see any in your pic. However, (some of) the clasts could be fossiliferous. More detailed examination necessary also here.

Here is an example of a natural breccia with a fossiliferous clast:

EggenbergerBrekzie_kompr.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

@Ramona, its a difficult decision based on this one pic alone. As already mentioned, it could be (poorly made) concrete, or it could be a natural breccia of some sort. It would be necessary to examine a fresh break in detail.

Considering fossils, I can not see any in your pic. However, (some of) the clasts could be fossiliferous. More detailed examination necessary also here.

Here is an example of a natural breccia with a fossiliferous clast:

EggenbergerBrekzie_kompr.jpg

Franz Bernhard

Ohhhhh, NICE one!!!  I will try to get down in the creek bed to get better photographs of the rock/concrete.  I am intrigued!  Thanks for sharing this!

14 hours ago, caldigger said:

Lots of construction "leftovers" got/ get thrown into river basins. Out of sight, out of mind.

True dat!  Could definitely be that! I will try to get closer to this one to make a better determination.  Thanks!!

18 hours ago, Norki said:

I mean, I've also seen natural conglomerates that look almost identical to concrete pavement, so it isn't necessarily man made.

I will find out!  I will get closer to it when I get a chance and to a better examination with more clear photos.  I am pretty clumsy and this rock is down in an area without easy access to it.  I am trying to be mature and wait until another family member will go with me. ;-)  Hard to wait, though!  

18 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

We all are fooled by man made objects at times. Just read my post from last week:  Crinoid Cups Excite Me, BUT........ No need to tuck a tail, but enjoy such experiences  for the "humor" that they present!!!

Mike

Ha!  Thanks for sharing that one!  I would have been fooled, too!!  

19 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

20 hours ago, caldigger said:

No doubt!

Here we go!  A close up photograph of my concrete rock!  Actually, this is a different rock, but the same type as the first one.  

IMG_7371-6.jpg

Yeah, I would have guessed a chunk of concrete as well. It looks like they used a coarse rock and unwashed sand.

Remember that the cement in concrete is just baked limestone so it will end up looking pretty much like limestone after it's formed.  In fact there are limestones that can be just ground up and used without baking.  There are a few Paleozoic layers in the Hudson Valley that were/are still referred to as "water limes".

On 12/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, Wrangellian said:

On 12/14/2019 at 5:51 PM, Ramona said:

OK, so it looks like my original assumption WAS correct, then!  I have no idea how a large piece of concrete might have gotten into the woods behind our house, but there is much that I don't know. ;-) 

Thanks!!  

Ramona

Often, when foundations are poured, the concrete suppliers will clean their trucks on the job site - usually a discrete distance from the actual construction.

Also, I once come across home owners dumping excess concrete in their back yards/stream edges. 

Just two of the ways I know concrete gets into odd places.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me