Name that shell!

Flaminka

I found quite a few of these at Alligator Point, Florida during low tide the day after Thanksgiving.  I'm pretty sure one is a Florida Quahog, but no clue on the other.  Ice chest ruler for measurement.  Any idea on them age wise? There was a large grouping of them in a tight area so I'm inclined to believe that they are eroding out of the substrate there. Thank you for your assistance!

20191215_152718.jpg

I don't think either of them is a fossil, but photos can be deceiving and I'm not a bivalve expert, so let's wait for those who are to chime in. Many of those in the know are out fossil hunting on weekends, so let's give them some time to find this post and respond. 

In keeping with the replies so far I was leaning towards Sylvia on the top one and Bob on the bottom one, but it may actually prefer to be called Robert. :D

P.S. -- We strive to be at least entertaining if not helpful.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

37 minutes ago, Flaminka said:

My mom called me Fred until I was born,  surprise, a girl. I'm glad to know there's some smarty pants here. 

It was thought I was to be a girl until I was born. My name was to be Doreen.  Then "SURPRISE!" I had a little extra something.  Now I'm Doren. :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

:default_rofl:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Maybe it's time we stop picking only English names and be more internationally-oriented... I propose Jean-Philippe and Jean-Claude; these shells are clearly from French descent. 

On a more serious note, the bottom shell is very likely a Mercenaria mercenaria (the quahog, as you said). The top shell I'm having a bit more trouble recognizing, so could you please post a picture of its 'teeth' on the other side of the shell? My best guess so far is Macrocallista nimbosa LINK, but a hinge picture would help confirm that. 

Very nice finds!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

18 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Maybe it's time we stop picking only English names and be more internationally-oriented... I propose Jean-Philippe and Jean-Claude; these shells are clearly from French descent. 

On a more serious note, the bottom shell is very likely a Mercenaria mercenaria (the quahog, as you said). The top shell I'm having a bit more trouble recognizing, so could you please post a picture of its 'teeth' on the other side of the shell? My best guess so far is Macrocallista nimbosa LINK, but a hinge picture would help confirm that. 

Very nice finds!

Here is one of mine that I collected, but I am never good with these she’ll ID’s, but I do my best.

1B47D214-B48F-47C1-AB65-56AA5781C9EC.thumb.jpeg.ee9391d105806a27a0f038be9116671d.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I am thinking that the other one might be a Mercenaria Clam. One of my finds- I think that is what it is. @Shellseeker what do you think on hers and mine?

8E70D1FF-39F3-415A-A167-438E4F86A432.thumb.jpeg.c9b910d13b095dc2c186177269f1742d.jpeg

I am far more familiar with modern Florida shells than with the fossil one, although I have hunted both,  and some times stumble across shells washing out of old areas..

The 1st I recognized immediately as a Sunray Venus, not uncommon modern shell

{ The sunray venus clam Macrocallista nimbosa is a large, attractive clam distributed from the Carolinas to Florida and Gulf of Mexico states. It very possible exists also in the fossil record.

I have found them on beaches up to 6 inches long:

image.png.f285571c2e7e421660b2aa0e58a1ec67.png

Same with Mercenaria mercenaria,  found many times rolling in the surf as a modern clam and a variation in  sediments dated millions of years ago. Both of these seem to have staying power over millions of years.

I have never been particularly good differentiating shell that look exactly the same. modern or fossil. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"