Mosasaurus - lower jaw?

Berkeleybengal

Could experts share the primary indicators to check for regarding authenticity of a Mosasaurus jaw specimen? - specifically root / tooth junctures. I’m aware of the sophistication of fakes in the market. Below is a recent purchase - I’d like feedback on details to look for in verifying authenticity. Thank you!

A011BA6C-411B-41FB-82AA-F323CDBD7949.jpeg

E49B490C-6F3D-4950-B0D2-B99E66088164.jpeg

4C7C2C8F-0639-4399-ADCD-F121305DAC22.jpeg

3013CB78-B0C3-4604-BFBA-3CF90AFA1BDD.jpeg

78489BD1-C36B-4512-AF5A-A88A726E124E.jpeg

When I see the texture of the matrix, I see there has been some things reworked on it. They added sand before fixating the surface here.

But it's hard to see what has been reworked. Or the bigger cracks between, or some other part.. Or just to reinforce the piece as a whole.

BUT... I do fear the small replacement teeth could have been added .. would need very clear close up to verify on that.

Else.. a bit weathered piece .. but great Prognathodon jaw after all!

• I found this Informative 2

I don't trust both of them.. but I can't imagine that they went all through this reworking just to add these 2 little teeth .. there must be something else.. :)

At least one of the teeth does not fit as it is much too thin compared to the others.  The middle tooth. As it happens that tooth also shows clear signs of compositing around the tooth in the matrix as Fitch already pointed out.

So it has at least been tampered with a bit.

Some other teeth also look like they might be composited. But otherwise the jaw looks mostly okay. Looks like a composite, but not one of the worst ones.

Otherwise I think Fitch has already said most there is to say.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

maxillary bone with real teeth but they are fixed with plaster and not belong to the maxillary. look at the base of the teeth and the shape of them, some are posterior teeth but fix in anterior because the stupid dealer just put teeth on the maxillary without knowing the right place.

• I found this Informative 2

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

On ‎01‎.‎01‎.‎2020 at 11:26 AM, jnoun11 said:

maxillary bone with real teeth but they are fixed with plaster and not belong to the maxillary. look at the base of the teeth and the shape of them, some are posterior teeth but fix in anterior because the stupid dealer just put teeth on the maxillary without knowing the right place.

Something plastered together here - personally, i would stay away...

Thanks - since posting this I have taken it to two independent PhD paleontologists who know mosasaurs. They both were very positive about the teeth and authenticity of the full jaw. I have also assessed it with them under black light. I do believe the teeth are in the correct place and that the jaw is from a single mosasaur. At least I’m comfortable with the physical assessments at this time.

independant PHd paleontologist, :heartylaugh:, it s why the world is the world.

people around you try to help you , some of them work with mosasaur for years, they tell you its fake ,but when you want this jaw to be genuine ....she s genuine.

E49B490C-6F3D-4950-B0D2-B99E66088164.jpeg.e679029affeec5aa4b1bf8d6bc5634e0.jpeg

ask the independant paleontologist Phd, to tell you how a deciduous tooth can be attached to the maxillary bones

InkedA011BA6C-411B-41FB-82AA-F323CDBD7949.jpeg.f2c9ba023be77e023d294305489464df_LI.jpg

again , ask the Phd, to tell you how the anterior tooth is in middle of the maxillary?

science is facts and logic, the it s genuine or not without fact is fairy tales.

the best for you and easy way is to take a tootbrush with hot water and cleaning the bases of each tooth, you will see the plaster showing up.

have a good day

Edited by jnoun11
helping
  • I found this Informative 8

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

7 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

independant PHd paleontologist, :heartylaugh:, it s why the world is the world.

people around you try to help you , some of them work with mosasaur for years, they tell you its fake ,but when you want this jaw to be genuine ....she s genuine

ask the independant paleontologist Phd, to tell you how a deciduous tooth can be attached to the maxillary bones

again , ask the Phd, to tell you how the anterior tooth is in middle of the maxillary?

science is facts and logic, the it s genuine or not without fact is fairy tales.

the best for you and easy way is to take a tootbrush with hot water and cleaning the bases of each tooth, you will see the plaster showing up.

have a good day

Well said, sir. :tiphat:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you All for your comments. The response from Fitch79 was very useful and led to the external in person follow ups that were mentioned. I am a scientist with background in anatomy and evolutionary biology, but had not previously assessed Mosasaurs. Some of the later comments are not aligned with research papers or images I’ve surfaced. Nonetheless, I appreciate the time, thoughts, and energy :-)

On ‎04‎.‎01‎.‎2020 at 7:38 PM, Berkeleybengal said:

I am a scientist with background in anatomy and evolutionary biology, but had not previously assessed Mosasaurs. Some of the later comments are not aligned with research papers or images I’ve surfaced. Nonetheless, I appreciate the time, thoughts, and energy :-)

Well, i have a master degree in geology/paleontology, too. But knowing each fossil and it's special anatomic details is simply not possible. Furthermore keep in mind, that forgerys and composites are widespread and made today in such ways that even the studied (and non-studied) experts are fooled (see the known examples in literature). :unsure:

So not necessarily all literature/papers needs to be "the only truth"...;)

More over they represent a status of knowledge of the author and may be revised some day for several reasons. But that's the way science works...