Found these two looking for stone points today

edteach

Sorry. I think the first one is a form of banded chert. The other looks more mineral than fossil in nature to me as well. 

I'm thinking the first one may a clam shell fragment. The second one does look a bit like a coral but I would like to see better photos of it from the same angle as the last one in the first series of photos.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I can get my light box out and Digital SLR if these are not good enough. The one I don't think it a bivalve its almost like a piece of a tree bark.

DSC02386.JPG

DSC02388.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02391.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02395.JPG

If you are talking about the chirt flake in the rock that looks like some kind of fossil then yes its I believe a chert flake. But that is not why I picked it up its the stippling pattern in the other rock. The second rock has more curves IMO than a bivalve.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

:popcorn:

Yeah, the more I look at them the less confident I become. :popcorn: I'm grabbing some and waiting for others to chime in too.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Must be something strange or I would have gotten its a this or that. The one that is a fossil for sure seems to me to be more rounded than a bivalve. Also the indention of the lines are too deep IMHO also. I have tried to look at other Bivalve fossils from this area on line. It could be a type of bivalve fossil. I can not match the pattern though. I sent pictures into a few fossil groups for ID. Maybe they can confirm what it is.

Going through my other fossil finds from the same area and I found one that somewhat matches,  could this be a large rugose coral fossil

• I found this Informative 1

17 minutes ago, edteach said:

could this be a large rugose coral fossil

I can imagine one with a robust theca  preserving to look this way in chert.

I can't find a good match in my collection though.

I found one that matches close but its a small piece. This goes under the surrounding material more but I don't want to destroy it by trying to remove it.

If this is carboniferous in age maybe an inflated calamites? If it is in chert and from a predominately marine environment, maybe exterior of a horn coral. Those are my best guesses but I can't wait to find out what it really is. The second one stumps me.

Do those ridges look as if they were little cubes that were fused into a row when you look at it in hand ? It would indicate rugose coral.

45 minutes ago, Scylla said:

If this is carboniferous in age maybe an inflated calamites? If it is in chert and from a predominately marine environment, maybe exterior of a horn coral. Those are my best guesses but I can't wait to find out what it really is. The second one stumps me.

37 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Do those ridges look as if they were little cubes that were fused into a row when you look at it in hand ? It would indicate rugose coral.

I was thinking rugose coral, as well.

The second one reminds me of a styolite.

Steve

45 minutes ago, Bullsnake said:

The second one reminds me of a styolite.

Agreed. 

It was a little too well exposed to be noticeable. 

27 minutes ago, Peto Lithos said:

The second one appears to be weathering due to water.

I can't argue with it, but the features so exposed do look to be the result of pressure dissolution earlier in diagenesis to me. 

I just came across some rugosa yesterday in the Decorah that resembles that pattern in the chert.  I haven't positively ID'd these yet, but

Lambeophyllum or Streptelasma maybe.

20191228_142727.jpg.1e9ff8cc142a48d74d858c4a3f19bdf1.jpg

20191228_142718.jpg.13259cc0f665759df1ca474cbfca1e82.jpg

20 hours ago, edteach said:

Some better photos of the fossil.

DSC02383.JPG

DSC02384.JPG

DSC02385.JPG

I see you are from the Ozarks.  I am in no way an expert of any sort, but this sure looks like the rugose coral fossils that I find in the Missouri Ozarks.

Horn Coral 001.jpg