Huntonia

I purchased a nice Redlichia Mansuyi trilobite a while ago. Most of the matrix still feels solid and hard however some of it (which feels kind of like clay to me) seems to have dried and is flaking off. Do I need to be worried? Would it be necessary to consolidate the fossil with paraloid or something similar?20191228_124657.thumb.jpg.29a24f9038eb9313172932a700cf99ca.jpg

That's what I was thinking but I'll have to buy more acetone and it's a bit of a pain to do in the climate I live in. If possible I'd like to avoid doing that.

Can I see a picture of the trilobite itself? The mud shales the fossil came from are highly weathered so it's not unusual for the matrix to be very brittle.

Sure thing. All the matrix around the trilobite seems fine it's just a layer on the back that seems to be losing its integrity 20190726_163532.thumb.jpg.21afa55fd5a8340321805958c6b0c8cd.jpg

Thanks for the help as always. Chinese trilobites are really not my area, maybe should have done a bit more research before buying one! 

15 hours ago, Huntonia said:

That's what I was thinking but I'll have to buy more acetone and it's a bit of a pain to do in the climate I live in. If possible I'd like to avoid doing that.

I’ve heard about a thin layer of cyanoacrylate glue being used but never personally tried it. Its apparently harder to remove than paraloid.