Genuine theropod dinosaur egg?

MohammadAAK

Hello all,

I saw one seller online listing this piece for auction. I'm interested in bidding but the fact the seller is from Taiwan worries me. Other than that, the egg looks nice.

Seller says it might be a small tyrannosaurus or large therapod egg. Locality is noted as "East Asia", which I assume is china. And the description says this is from an old Chinese collection exported in the 80s.

Cretaceous of East Asia.

Best wishes

dfgdfg.jpg

ghj.jpg

ghjghj.jpg

jjjj.jpg

jjjjj.jpg

rtyfgh.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

yjgfj.jpg

59 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Hi just wondering do you know what formation is it from?

Hi, I'm not really sure, other than the online description, there isn't any other source of information. I'm asking not only because I want to bid, but also because I bought a woolly mammoth tooth from the seller and now im worried about authenticity (another account, but I assumed they are the same person since photo quality is exactly the same, and even though the mammoth tooth is listed as being in the USA, the tracking number shows it shipped from Korea, both accounts also use similar template for the title item reference number).

s-l1600 (10).jpg   s-l1600 (9).jpg   s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg   s-l500 (1).jpg   s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

1 hour ago, MohammadAAK said:

Hello all,

I saw one seller online listing this piece for auction. I'm interested in bidding but the fact the seller is from Taiwan worries me. Other than that, the egg looks nice.

Seller says it might be a small tyrannosaurus or large therapod egg. Locality is noted as "East Asia", which I assume is china. And the description says this is from an old Chinese collection exported in the 80s.

Cretaceous of East Asia.

Best wishes

Please, DO NOT COPY ADVERTISING WORD FOR WORD, OR POST LINKS TO ADVERSTISEMENTS!  This is against Forum rules. 

PHOTOS ONLY!  

Thank you. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, MohammadAAK said:

Hi, I'm not really sure, other than the online description, there isn't any other source of information. I'm asking not only because I want to bid, but also because I bought a woolly mammoth tooth from the seller and now im worried about authenticity (another account, but I assumed they are the same person since photo quality is exactly the same, and even though the mammoth tooth is listed as being in the USA, the tracking number shows it shipped from Korea, both accounts also use similar template for the title item reference number).

s-l1600 (10).jpg   s-l1600 (9).jpg   s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg   s-l500 (1).jpg   s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Ok thanks, to me it looks like a Oviraptor egg, could be another Theropod but most likely Oviraptor.

I would be suspect of the legality of the specimen due to the discrepancies you mentioned but the egg does appear to be authentic to my eye. If it is a fake, it is a very good one. I’ve prepped a handful of dinosaur eggs in the past and they all had a similar preservation as this one.

25 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Ok thanks, to me it looks like a Oviraptor egg, could be another Theropod but most likely Oviraptor.

Thank you, I thought so too but the seller specifically said its not an oviraptor egg, I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion

27 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would be suspect of the legality of the specimen due to the discrepancies you mentioned but the egg does appear to be authentic to my eye. If it is a fake, it is a very good one. I’ve prepped a handful of dinosaur eggs in the past and they all had a similar preservation as this one.

I agree, quite suspicious that he ships items from asia when he mentions them to be in USA. Thank you for your input. The texture is really strong on the shell 

Edited by MohammadAAK

@MohammadAAK 

Per forum rules, please refrain from commentary about any seller. 

Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

43 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@MohammadAAK 

Per forum rules, please refrain from commentary about any seller. 

Thanks.

I apologize I haven't paid attention to that, not doing it again! 

53 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I believe the egg to be authentic.  The eggshell has great strong ornamentation.

Thank you, that's a relief!

Fake, don't bid, because other forum members are already bidding. ;) Kidding...

Tooth is authentic. Egg seems authentic too, probably Oviraptor and probably restored (as mentioned in description too - look at one edge, no texture there, so either erased in prep or restoration, maybe some shells were glued too - the substance mentioned is most likely some type of consolidant or glue or weathered shell. T-rex? (don't trust everything written in descriptions on our favourite auction site, most sellers would say anything to sell better)). I think I was offered this exact specimen before. The only problem is, probably not from China, but Mongolia, illegally smuggled (Djadokhta formation)... Just a guess, but smuggled in anycase 100%. If you're in USA, be very carefull with material from Mongolia (repatriation act + Mongolian legislation goes way back, so it doesn't matter how old collection... ;) ). 

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

@aeon.rocks Per forum rules, please refrain from commentary about any seller and keep to discussion about the items in question. Thanks.

Did I mention any seller? I'm simply discussing the item. The fact that I have trust issues has nothing to do with the specific sellers, but with the auction site full of miss-informations, but since this is an auction and price will go sky high because item is described as "old Chinese collection" and "museum quality", my opinion doesn't hurt the sales. 

@aeon.rocks 

Your initial post did mention "these sellers".  That was what @Kane was referring to.  I have also edited the monetary amount from your post.  (Future note to self.  ;) )

Otherwise, your remarks offer wise advice.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yes, corrected, because i didn’t really mean anything seller specific. I’m not a rasist, i love all, white, black, yellow, gey, straight, have nothing against sellers from China, Japan, Korea... :) And this seller seems nice! But when you see a B grade repaired mongolian oviraptor egg listed as “huge, maybe t-rex, not oviraptor, museum quality, special mineral on shell”...that’s just marketing and our favorite auction site is full of listings like that. That’s the type of shenanigans i had in mind. I guess we can understand why provinance is “mixed up” and just noted as “east asia”, but better be carefull... 

Thanks for editing monetary amount, was not necessary tho. ;)

Happy new year and good luck bidding! 

1 minute ago, aeon.rocks said:

Thanks for editing monetary amount, was not necessary tho. ;)

We don't allow pricing talk, outside of the Sales Forum, so it was necessary. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

Fake, don't bid, because other forum members are already bidding. ;) Kidding...

Tooth is authentic. Egg seems authentic too, probably Oviraptor and probably restored (as mentioned in description too - look at one edge, no texture there, so either erased in prep or restoration, maybe some shells were glued too - the substance mentioned is most likely some type of consolidant or glue or weathered shell. T-rex? (don't trust everything written in descriptions on our favourite auction site, most sellers would say anything to sell better)). I think I was offered this exact specimen before. The only problem is, probably not from China, but Mongolia, illegally smuggled (Djadokhta formation)... Just a guess, but smuggled in anycase 100%. If you're in USA, be very carefull with material from Mongolia (repatriation act + Mongolian legislation goes way back, so it doesn't matter how old collection... ;) ). 

Really appreciate your reply, leave the goodies to me! :)

Just now, MohammadAAK said:

Really appreciate your reply, leave the goodies to me! :)

No problem, you can return the favour by not trying to outbid me in the end. ;)

Just now, aeon.rocks said:

No problem, you can return the favour by not trying to outbid me in the end. ;)

Let’s just hope that’s the case ;)

This is an authentic dinosaur egg from either China or Mongolia. The size is not unusual as described nor is the calcification seen between shell pieces.  Eggs like these are typically 5 inches to 8 inches long and with this type of shell ornamentation are commonly referred to as Oviraptor eggs by collectors. Tarbosaur eggs (Tyrannosaurus Bataar or AKA the Mongolian TRex) are well over 20+ inches long, this is certainly not that.