Aublysodon teeth are really Daspletosaurus and T-rex

dinosaur man

I was searching the internet earlier today and found out that all Aublysodon teeth where that of Tyrannosaurinae juveniles. From Two medicine formation Daspletosaurus horneri, from Judith river formation and Dinosaur park formation Daspletosaurus sp., and from Hell creek and Lance formations T-rex, and so on... The study was done by Dr. Phil Currie, hope this helps with teeth like this!!

@Runner64 I haven't found a paper on it yet, but it was mentioned in Dinosaur provincial park a spectacular ancient ecosystem. 

Aublysodon was a tyrannosaurid tooth taxon only known by unserrated premaxillary teeth.  It very old news but currently viewed as nomen dubium.  Over the years several papers by Carr, Currie, Holtz have indicated that these teeth need to be assigned to other tyrannosaurids.  There are no papers that I'm aware of that specifically states which tyrannosaurid.  In fact where multiple tyrannosaurids exist, Hell Creek, Lance, Judith River, Two Medicine, Aguja etc Formations and all the units in the Belly River Group its impossible to assign them to a specific one.  So only in the Horseshoe Canyon Fm can they positively be assigned to Albertosaurus.   All other tyrannosaurid premaxillary teeth are indeterminate.

• I found this Informative 4

So would my premax tooth have been classified as Aublysodon? I think when I posted it on ID a while back it was thought to most likely be Nano. (Just over a centimeter)

IMG_E4599.thumb.JPG.1271c6e6b3eb9a970e943e6601d1cdd7.JPG IMG_E4601.thumb.JPG.3ab2fd231233dbe393f5d840b51a1f8f.JPG

Just now, PaleoNoel said:

So would my premax tooth have been classified as Aublysodon? I think when I posted it on ID a while back it was thought to most likely be Nano. (Just over a centimeter)

No it's a tyrannosaurid indet.  Aublysodon does not exists.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

No it's a tyrannosaurid indet.  Aublysodon does not exists.

I understand that, I'm asking if it would have been because it lacks serrations?

25 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

I understand that, I'm asking if it would have been because it lacks serrations?

:dinothumb:  sometimes they are worn check under a loop

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/31/2019 at 3:48 PM, Troodon said:

:dinothumb:  sometimes they are worn check under a loop

The photos I take of my smaller theropod teeth are generally through a loupe, including the above premax.