Recommended Books for ID?

Bone Daddy

Are there any recommended books for ID'ing vertebrate fossils? Specifically, Miocene/Pliocene/Pleistocene fauna from the Southeast US or Florida?

I am aware of Hurlburt's Fossil Vertebrates of Florida and it's on my acquisition list, but are there any others?

Thanks!

MikeG

One of the best:,  a few errors... a little dated, but still

image.png.5ead31c561a8b381077fa123da3dcb49.png

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

Are there any recommended books for ID'ing vertebrate fossils? Specifically, Miocene/Pliocene/Pleistocene fauna from the Southeast US or Florida?

I am aware of Hurlburt's Fossil Vertebrates of Florida and it's on my acquisition list, but are there any others?

Thanks!

MikeG

The Hulbert book is not really a guide for Identification of bones and teeth.  It's more of a reference to all the vertebrate groups that are known from Florida, many of which are known from elsewhere.  There are plenty of photos of specimens, though, so the book can help with an ID and it can certainly help you understand what has come from where and give you an idea of the diversity of various deposits as you digest the text.  That book is a must-have for any Florida collector or any vertebrate collector.  I bought when it was new and have had the opportunity to meet and talk to the author, Dr. Richard Hulbert, an incredible intellect and a nice guy.

Jack's suggestion is also a good one.  The Kocsis is more of an ID guide with close-ups of what you can find.  I don't have that one but have seen it.  It's a bit expensive.  If you want it like-new condition, you might find a copy somewhere for under $100.  If you don't mind a somewhat worn copy, keep your eyes open and visit some Florida used bookstores.  You might find a bargain.  I've found good, cheap books there.

There is also "Florida's Fossils: Guide to Location, Identification, and Enjoyment" by Robin C. Brown.  The first edition was published in 1988, a  revised one in 1996, and the most recent revised edition was in 2008.  You might want all three or just the most recent one.  It covers invertebrates and vertebrates.

Jess

• I found this Informative 3