Need ID on Myrtle Beach fossil (reptile?)

PSchleis

I found this on Myrtle Beach, Jan 3, 2020. 

It kind of looks like a snake to me, but I can't find anything on the Internet that looks quite like it to confirm.

The first photo is the underside of it - a very detailed imprint of something in the shape of a burst.

The other photos are of the top of it. Note the two bumps at the front, almost looking like eyes, and the two holes that look like nostrils.

Thank you for your help!

Paula

P1120061.JPG

P1120062.JPG

P1120063.JPG

P1120064.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Snake skulls are comprised of fragile bones loosely bound together.  Your find looks nothing like a snake skull.  If it is in fact some sort of bone , it is beach-polished severely.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

This looks like a very worn/eroded part of a fish skull. 

Maybe something like the frontal portion of a fossil sea robin skull.

People have called them "Baby Alligator Heads". 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sea robin frontal bones (they are two fused bones) is a highly imaginative identification, I think.  How do you explain the pores and vertical columns in the image?  . . . That would be highly unusual fish bone, wouldn't it?

2 hours ago, PSchleis said:

P1120061.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

What seest thou else

Harry, 

It may be the rear part of the skull?

um1bu45xwg_DSCN1713.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have a dozen fish skulls I've collected, and this didn't seem to be similar to any of them at all. Even holding them here side by side, I can't see it. The starburst pattern, in particular, doesn't resemble the others I have. But I suppose erosion could account for that.

By the way, just curious, but why is every fossilized fish skull a "sea robin." There must have been tens of thousands of species of fish, but I never hear anyone speak of a fish skull that isn't a sea robin. Does anyone know?

Thanks again!

Paula

48 minutes ago, PSchleis said:

. Does anyone know?

In a nut shell, these are over represented because they are over engineered relative to most. 

I think Rockwood is describing the durability of these sea robin skull parts.  They survive, therefore they are over-represented in printed and on-line fossil guides.  I think most fish skulls, if not destroyed by predators and scavengers, just fall apart into non-descript pieces which are not of much interest to collectors.  That reality is what makes lagerstatten like Messel, Santa Ana FM (Brazil), Green River and Solnhofen so wonderful.

fish_priscacara_serrata.JPG.853da282e27d80216bbd4fc93502913c.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

What seest thou else

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I think Rockwood is describing the durability of these sea robin skull parts.  They survive, therefore they are over-represented in printed and on-line fossil guides.  I think most fish skulls, if not destroyed by predators and scavengers, just fall apart into non-descript pieces which are not of much interest to collectors.  That reality is what makes lagerstatten like Messel, Santa Ana FM (Brazil), Green River and Solnhofen so wonderful.

Thanks Rockwood and Harry!