Oolitic coral and stromatoporid?

Jackson g

Good morning everyone. As usual I got off of work and went on a nice brisk walk out to see the water levels. I ended up stopping by a honey hole of mine for about 10 minutes, and found a couple of goodies. I know the species of coral at hand, but my question on this would be are the small circle patterns on the coral be considered oolitic inclusions? Beyond that, I've found a few things of what I am guessing to be a sponge fossil. I'm completely uncertain on this. I've collected a few in the past year and always manage to bring them home, but have yet to ask around or do any research on them myself. Any opinions are welcomed and appreciated, thanks!

Coral

20200105_082932.jpg

Sponge? #1

20200105_084444.jpg

Sponge? #2

20200105_084611.jpg

Top of sponge? #2

20200105_084455.jpg

Bottom of sponge? #2

20200105_084507.jpg

The circles are a nice example of beekite replacement, a form of chalcedony. It's quite frequent in corals.

You're probably right with sponge - it looks like a chaetetid such as Chaetetes.

• I found this Informative 5

Tarquin

15 hours ago, TqB said:

The circles are a nice example of beekite replacement, a form of chalcedony. It's quite frequent in corals.

You're probably right with sponge - it looks like a chaetetid such as Chaetetes.

As always you're quick to give a well informed answer, thanks! Now I kind of feel bad about the few sponges I left laying around, thinking they may have been geological in origin.

12 hours ago, Jackson g said:

As always your quick to give a well informed answer, thanks! Now I kind of feel bad about the few sponges I left laying around, thinking they may have been geological in origin.

No need to feel bad. Go back and get them.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I have one that looks exactly like sponge #2. Thought it was petrified wood. Doh.

(might need to start another topic on that)