V.S

Hello everyone, I working in dimension stone field in Armenia. This fossils where found in a sample small stone block brought for cutting to the factory, then they were machined polished as standard marble or granite tile. The tile (second photo) is 400x800mm app.16x32 inch. Kindly help me to identify these guys. ThanksA9147244-1EF5-4A72-AAA0-99F6382BC448.thumb.jpeg.5db58d18ffc9ac004c6188e518ae857a.jpeg

7502156C-F843-4AAD-A420-0736091ED805.jpeg

C8C87BC6-3DD2-4D76-82B8-0594CF773A4E.png

Edited by V.S

Please be so kind as to tell us where they come from and also which stratigraphical period they belong to. Your tags are confusing because they say too much.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Unfortunately I don’t think I am able to provide more detailed info on the period or any other related information. Everything I wrote basically based on my school knowledge..) 

Thanks, but a more precise location and stratigraphy is even more important.

Edit: You'll need to find that out in order to support the id. At first glance, one could think Orthoceras (Paleozoic), but Andreas sees Nerinea (Cretaceous), to which I also tend.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks, but a more precise location and stratigraphy is even more important.

I wish I could tell. 

4 minutes ago, andreas said:

Nerinea sp.

Hi, could you please tell me what that means? I am sorry but I know nothing about the subject, so kindly provide more detailed information. Thanks 

14 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Please do not post things here twice. Once is enough.

Noted..first I posted in a general discussion forum, then realized that there is a special ID forum..)

Nerinea are extinct Cretaceous gastropods(sea snails). Your block consists of many snails that where washed together and turned into stone.

For those who doubt on Nerinea: One have to look at the folded outline of an inner winding. This is so typical in that gastropod family that you can mix it. Of course you have several cutting angles in such a slab what makes iding not easier.

• I found this Informative 2

5 minutes ago, andreas said:

Nerinea are extinct Cretaceous gastropods(sea snails). Your block consists of many snails that where washed together and turned into stone.

For those who doubt on Nerinea: One have to look at the folded outline of an inner winding. This is so typical in that gastropod family that you can mix it. Of course you have several cutting angles in such a slab what makes iding not easier.

Thanks a lot Andreas, I have found many similar slice photos and I could tell from the tile that these creatures probably had to have spiral bodies (shells), because we had slices of each on a different level and I could imagine what they could look like, similar to MRI or CT imaging..) 

1 minute ago, V.S said:

Thanks a lot Andreas, I have found many similar slice photos and I could tell from the tile that these creatures probably had to have spiral bodies (shells), because we had slices of each on a different level and I could imagine what they could look like, similar to MRI or CT imaging..) 

So it is:)

I'm betting a lot of fossil collectors would absolutely love to have that tile decorating their home.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'm betting a lot of fossil collectors would absolutely love to have that tile decorating their home.

We might start quarrying of this material soon, hopefully if we evaluate the potential of the deposit, but I far as I can understand it has to be big enough, because obviously it used to be an internal sea or a lake bed, so I don’t think it is small area, though it can be spread along a large territory and/or different elevations. Will see, will try to update on this.