How do you tell the difference between an ocean fossil and a shelf rock?

angeliquemnc

I am attaching pictures of what I have found to help aid in this question. Thank you in advance!

15784360855367104639596634800827.jpg

I think we are going for... telling the difference between a fossil from the sea or just an interesting rock bound for the " Shelf of Curiosity"  ( no collection is complete without one! )

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

In looking at the objects I am finding, say like a megladon tooth. Nothing looks like they do online. White with a distinct gum line. But, last year that fossil expert said many of them wouldn't because of ocean erosion. They would be flat and triangular. Black or brown in color, depending on the sand. But, there are rocks that are on the shore too, as well as concretions. For instance, looking at my picture...are these shark teeth or just a bunch of rocks?

I think what I am asking is, are there identifiers on fossils that would seperate it from rocks on a beach? 

**Caldigger hits my question on the head. Thank you!

Edited by angeliquemnc

Yes of course. Rocks are purely made up of various minerals and fossils look like organic substance. Just because a rock may have the shape of a Megalodon tooth doesn't mean that it is one and that applies for all shapes that resemble fossils. The fossils themselves all have their unique appearance and manifestation.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It all depends on the type of fossil, mineralization, level of preservation, etc, etc.

It just takes a practiced keen eye acquired after several hunts to really gain a good sense of what is what. But as a rule, once you know what a tooth and bone look like, you can spot the difference immediately.

Many false alarms are created by Mother Nature that tend to fool all of us at one time or another though.  

I'd be able to spot that PlayStation controller a mile away!  :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

So is there a way to test whether something is a fossil? Or things to observe under a microscope that may seperate it from rock/mineral? 

3 minutes ago, angeliquemnc said:

So is there a way to test whether something is a fossil? Or things to observe under a microscope that may seperate it from rock/mineral? 

First you have to know what you're looking for. Study books on fossils and then you'll know. I'd suggest you take a look around this website first to get an idea of what fossils look like. You don't need to test anything, you just need to be able to recognize it and you don't need a microscope to tell the difference.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

20 minutes ago, caldigger said:

PlayStation controller a mile away! 

I thought it was from an Xbox. :D

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I thought it was from an Xbox. :D

The big giveaway clue for me.

Otherwise I would have no idea.

20200107_183004.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG